News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage Style Attire?

Started by AET, May 16, 2009, 02:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

I wish MEN's hats would come back into domniance.  Fedoras, etc.  They give a classy look and one of sophisication. 
- Tom

HobieSport

I spent some time in Sicily and Rome in 1990. I chose my attire carefully, as I had heard stories of pick pockets and other scam artists, and of course the Mafia, and I wanted to dress so folks might think twice before thinking I was just some dumb rube tourist to be duped out of a few thousand lira.

So I slicked back my hair, donned my gray fedora, black wayfarer glasses to hide my blue eyes, a big padded black coat (I'm a small guy and I wanted to look bigger) bluejeans (for the more casual  looking crime boss of today) and black shoes. I also walked with confidence and thought "Arnold Schwarzenegger" in Terminator.

Well, it worked like a charm. In touristy areas, where the other tourists where getting approached quite aggressively by hoards of pickpocket types, they actually moved away from me as I walked right through unmolested.

So this all went quite well until one night when we couldn't find a parking place, so we parked our unmarked white tour van in from of the Agrigento police station.  When we returned there were several police surrounding our van, but at a distance.  They were very relieved and friendly when we told them the van was ours, because they thought I was Mafia and was going to blow up the police station. 8) :o

McHeath

Great story!  You certainly worked the crowd as the saying goes, even had the police afraid of you. 

AET

Atta boy Matt, I wouldn'ta had expected that outta ya.  I hope you slicked with brylcreem, vitalis, or pomade, or a combo of the three.  Gel is a bad trip!
- Tom

HobieSport

Here's a snapshot of my Mom and Dad, soon after they were married, around 1949.  I wouldn't mind dressing like my Dad was here, plus the gray fedora of course.  BTW, is that his pipe in his pocket or is he just happy to see her? ;) He did smoke a straight-stem pipe and I do remember his fedora, around 1960.

McHeath

What a great picture!  I've got some old shots from that era of my parents, they were snappy dressers.  Dad was a real clotheshorse until the died, mom was a stylin gal in her day, but the last decade has seen a lot of comfy clothes, pajama bottoms and oversize sweatshirts, etc.  Guess that happens. 

The old dude across the street, at age 93, still will dress up on Sundays in a pretty cool old style suit. 

AET

Love the pic Matt!  Ur pop looks like a class act and your ma is a lovely lady.  Dig the suit, and agree with you on the fedora aspect!
- Tom

HobieSport

The fedora is an interesting item of attire.

Just by tilting the brim slightly one can look like either a hero or villain.

Dan/Panther

Matt;
Your Dad resembles a younger Dennis Quaid.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

Maybe reviving this thread...

That sure is an 80's look there, Heath!  The thin aqua tie and un-tucked white shirt, straight legged pants and tennie shoes all made me giggle.

I think that of all the eras of various attire that I still like the simple day to day gray rather casual suits from the 30's-50s, like the repeated picture here of my Dad in '49, but with a narrower tie, and with the addition of a regular gray fedora.

I would really like to dress like that when I walk to town twice a week on errands, actually. Not to look pretentious (there are plenty of different types of dressers in our funny little town anyway) but just to dress as I really like. Now wouldn't I look quaint dressed like that while pulling my little grocery dolly up the hill going home?  Why, I'd be known as "that little old fashioned guy who always wears the same old but clean and neat fitting suit when he walks to town." Believe me, in this town I'd probably just be viewed as "oddly normal".

So I'm keeping my eyes open for a decent gray suit at our local thrift stores.

I bought a really nice fedora last year, a short brimmed black Baily, but now I'm regretting it, as it looks too "Michael Jackson", and I like gray more than black in a fedora, with a regular width rim anyway. Also, the hat is just to darn high quality and nice to wear daily.

I once had an almost indestructible gray fedora that I got for 17 bucks at a theater supply store, and the quality was very good. I wore it for many years, until I had the bright idea to wash it in the machine and run it through the dryer. It being felt, it shrank to about two thirds it's size, of course. :P
-Matt

ntophones

I'm loving this discussion. McHeath, you could definitely do some Flashdancing, or something. Great outfit. What do you teach? (I'm assuming you are a teacher.)

I love the suites from the 30's (Fred Astaire) to the 40's (just love the overall era, hats and all.) But, I also like the suits of the 60's....

HobieSport--why are you a guest? I thought you were a long time member?

-nto
--nto

AET

Hobie, I have the same taste as you. I love those gray suits.  They are very sharp and traditional.
- Tom

HobieSport

Quote from: ntophones
HobieSport--why are you a guest? I thought you were a long time member?
-nto

That's just because I was off the board for awhile and then came back on again. So in all of my older posts I show up as a "guest". Just a technical thing in the forum software.

Now, my problem is, how to find an affordable 1940s suit in decent condition. Well, I'll just keep looking in the thrift stores. Maybe give the local thrift stores a print of the picture of my Dad and my frame size and phone number.
-Matt

McHeath

A nice gray flannel suit circa 1950 is pretty classy.  We watched White Christmas this past December and that one dance scene with Danny Kaye and Vera-Ellen where he wears the gray suit with matching colored shoes, fabulous. 

My 80's rig is pretty absurd now, but back in the day it was something.  I used to spike my hair straight up as well, like I'd walked into a wall with a head full of hair gel.

I was something back in the day.

AET

i picked up a nice Stetson wide-brim in gray and a Cavanaugh in brown, both late 40s or 50s I'd say.  5 bucks each at St. Vinnies.
- Tom