News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1959 WE Princess With Box

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, January 11, 2014, 09:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I just snatched a 12/59 beige Princess with the original box for $35 BIN. Unfortunately, the phone was refurbished twice, but I think I got a pretty good deal. I don't have it yet, so I'll post the auction pictures.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261372980872?txnId=0

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

Looks pretty nice, Christian.

If I remember correctly, the original princess (1959) used a similar yet different case than the 1960 mod. I'm not sure when (what month) they changed over to the newer design, it is possible that it could be the original case if they did switch over in late 1959. Or it could be in one of the refurbs that it got a new case.

Regardless, it is cool, but if you could make it even cooler by finding 1959 plastics!

Ben

baldopeacock

Question comes to mind, and I don't know the answer.

When the early 701 Princess came back to WE for refurb, was it possible to bring them up to 702 standard and add the internal ringer?

Since this phone has two refurb stamps, I wondered.

RotarDad

I don't think so. The 702 has a switch in the bottom to turn the ringer on/off.  The 701 has no provision for this.  I believe the two are quite different inside including different networks.  Other thoughts?
Paul

Phonesrfun

What is it that says it was refurbished twice?  I saw no refurb stamps on the base?
-Bill G

paul-f

Quote from: RotarDad on January 11, 2014, 11:50:57 PM

I don't think so. The 702 has a switch in the bottom to turn the ringer on/off.  The 701 has no provision for this.  I believe the two are quite different inside including different networks.  Other thoughts?

You're correct about the ringer adjustment, Paul.

http://www.paul-f.com/wePrincess.html#Pads

The bottom view doesn't show the horizontal vents in the vertical edge of the 702 bottom plate that helped let the sound out.

Bill, the vermillion stamps on the bottom are refurb stamps.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

Bill, the vermillion stamps on the bottom are refurb stamps.

Looking at the pictures with a full sized monitor, I now see the vermillion color.  :-\
-Bill G

unbeldi

Quote from: baldopeacock on January 11, 2014, 11:28:25 PM
Question comes to mind, and I don't know the answer.

When the early 701 Princess came back to WE for refurb, was it possible to bring them up to 702 standard and add the internal ringer?

Since this phone has two refurb stamps, I wondered.

The ringer wasn't the only difference, the base is different and the housing is too. The line cord enters in a different spot, but that already changed during the run of the 701 sometime in middle to late 1960. Later they made special housings for the refurb centers that could fit either base, but the installer had to cut out the correct mouse hole for the cord exit. The outlines for those were molded into the plastic inside.

WEBellSystemChristian

Ok, the Princess arrived in the mail today, here are the dates on the phone:

Base is 12/59

Network is 12/59

Dial is 12/59

Line cord is 1964

Handset cord is 1965

Transmitter cap is 4/65

Transmitter is 12 22 60

Receiver cap is 4/65

Receiver is 10-3-58

Handset is 2/66

Housing date is unknown, but I took advice from what unbeldi said, and I didn't find any other mouse hole template on the inside of the shell, so I hope that the shell is 1959.
Christian Petterson

LarryInMichigan

Be very careful when cleaning/polishing the shell.  They crack very easily.

Larry

WEBellSystemChristian

Oh, don't worry, I'll be careful. There aren't many scratches on the plastics, it'll only need about 30 minutes of refurbishment time.
Christian Petterson