News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 555 Switchboard Restoration Album.

Started by trainman, June 14, 2017, 07:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

try this. Until i make an album here. Click on the first picture to flip through all of them and see my captions.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10207415624667355.1073741830.1789425116&type=1&l=35d157b6d7

==============================

EDIT:  ( Facebook images with full text have been printed into a pdf file and attached here for posterity )

jshprentz

Facebook says:

QuoteThe page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Is your album public?

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: trainman on June 14, 2017, 07:45:25 PM
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10207636485028726&id=1789425116
Just my opinion but it seems contrary to the purpose of CRPF to post stuff on FB and post links to it on CRPF.  The general philosophy I infer from what I've read is that CRPF threads should be self-contained, even to the point of quoting eBay auction contents into CRPF so the content is still available even after eBay takes it down, hence the very good support in CRPF for embedding high resolution photos and other docs in a wide variety of file formats. 

A link to FB OTOH is not just a move in the diametrically opposite direction philosophically, but in addition, I know many who do not have FB accounts by very deliberate choice. 

Given that CRPF is open to all readers and FB is closed to force you to join so they can sell your soul to the devil, it seems more beneficial to all to post the content on CRPF and a link to CRPF on FB rather than the other way around.

Just my 2ยข!

trainman

Album should be public. I have posted links to albums before and it has worked.

So, i thought it would be a quick and easy way to show it. Guess not.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: trainman on June 15, 2017, 12:54:04 AM

Public to whom?  When I click on your link it opens a "JOIN" dialog.  Perhaps if I were a FB member I would get the same error message jshprentz got instead. 

I'd expect FB to deliberately NOT tell non-members that a link was invalid since putting them through the pointless exercise of joining to no useful end is probably part of their (monkey) business model: maximizing the number of members to maximize their ad revenues.

trainman

Ive done it before. Had public links to Facebook albums. So i guess i didnt do it right. And im not going to upload individual puctures from my phone. Next time im in front of my computer ill fix it. And upload them directly to this site.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: trainman on June 15, 2017, 01:17:38 AM
Ive done it before. Had public links to Facebook albums. So i guess i didnt do it right. And im not going to upload individual pictures from my phone. Next time im in front of my computer ill fix it. And upload them directly to this site.
It's news me.  I have never opened a FB link that did not insist that I join and for which I could bypass the join dialog. 

The TCI, in addition to its Yahoo Group, also has a FB page.  When I discussed that with the people who run it, specifically the issue of non-FB members being able to participate or at least read the TCI FB page, everything they told me reinforced the idea that I would have to join to get into it at all.  All I wanted to do was get an idea what was going on on the FB page but I came away with the understanding that I would have to join FB to do so.

I've seen many others say the same.  So apparently even the TCI people who run their FB page are unaware that there can be truly public FB pages that non-members can at least read.

HarrySmith

I got the same error message. I am a member so I was able to find it with a search. Usually pictures are posted here so they are not lost. I had posted a link some years ago to an album I had on Google through Picassa, that was shut down so my link is now useless. That is why we ask for photos to be posted here.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Victor Laszlo

Getting back to the original topic, those are excellent photos. Especially the restoration of the designations on the control keys.  You are one of us lucky ones who own the rare conference circuitry. Nice job!

HarrySmith

Agreed! Nice job, awesome restoration and great pics. Did you get a seperate stamp made for each of the designations? Where did you have them made and how much did they cost? The conference circuit is hard to find, that about doubles the valure of the board! Congrats!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

trainman

I used the PK Neuses stamping kit to replicate the lettering for the Battery and Buzzer keys.Each letter was stamped individually.  The engravings for the lettering were gone.

The lettering on the Split key was a little different. The engravings were there for part of the lettering. I used a Markal Lacguer fill paint stick to fill the engraving. the rest was done with the Neuses stamping kit.

I also replaced the lettering for the EXT jack on the conference jack unit. I had some dry transfer stencils that were the right size.

I tend to think the lettering wasnt engraved and then filled. I think it was heat stamped,which would explain the lack of a complete engraving for the lettering. otherwise if it was engraved, thats some major wear of the bakelite around the lettering.

Fabius

Nice pictures. Do you have any leftover parts? Need 2 of the  metal covers and several of the small relay housing rectangle covers.

When I went to FB  and got the log in or join message I clicked the "not now" I was able to see the pictures though there was still a log in pop up.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: trainman on June 15, 2017, 12:54:04 AM

Interesting.  I guess (non-)membership has its privileges, but not for me.  My screen says: "Join Facebook or log in to continue" with a Log In and a Join button below that.  Nothing more.  Rest of window is blank.

trainman

Yes, you get the Join button when viewing my pictures. But it goes away if you close the box. When Im logged out of Facebook, i can view the pictures, like like Im from the outside. So, dont know what your issue is.  when I figure out how to moe files on my home PC to create an album, i will. but i cant  figure it out without frustrating me to no end.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: trainman on June 20, 2017, 11:21:46 AM
Yes, you get the Join button when viewing my pictures. But it goes away if you close the box. When Im logged out of Facebook, i can view the pictures, like like Im from the outside. So, dont know what your issue is.  when I figure out how to moe files on my home PC to create an album, i will. but i cant  figure it out without frustrating me to no end.
It does not go away here and there is no way to dismiss it.  This is far from the first time I've tried to access a FB page and gotten this result over a number of years on different PCs and Macs with different browsers and different browser versions. 

Clicking either JOIN or LOG IN changes the page appropriately to one or the other, again with no way to dismiss or bypass filling in all fields.

So there is no "issue" here.  This is the way FB works because they want to force you to join.  You are a member therefore it may treat you differently whether logged in or not due to cookies it has set on your PC. 

I see no need to frustrate myself over this either.  It's just not very important to me.  If you want to share your 555 info you need to figure out how to put it up on CRPF where non-FB members can get to it.