"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BRITISH ERICSSON

Started by piratepete007, October 05, 2015, 10:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piratepete007

Hello All,
I am a brand new member (as of today) from Australia and happy to be in contact with a diverse forum. My stimulus for making this post is that in a few days time I am making a PP presentation on the British Ericsson but am perplexed by just one point. My un-restored BE (1925/1926) has a receiver that like the rest of the phone has no signs of any work being done it BUT the finish is not black paint or a cover of ebonite but has a very obvious copper-bonze finish.

Now, I have managed to find four different articles that DO make reference to an 'antique brass' or 'copper-bronze' finish being used. Now, those authors may have copied from each other and just have re-enforced a misunderstanding but I find that hard to believe or maybe the ebonite covering has broken off. I have spoken to quite a few people who all say that they have no knowledge of this metal finish.

So my question is .... was there in fact a finish on some BE's that was this 'copper-bronze' finish. ?

Really anxious to hear some comments on this matter.

Pete

Jack Ryan

Hi Pete,

I responded to this post with text, link and image but it disappeared - security problem with the image.

I'll send the image directly.

Jack

piratepete007

It might help with this telephone identity if the following link is followed ..

http://www.telephonecollecting.org/Bobs%20phones/Pages/AustPostOffice/Type35MWH.htm

Pete