News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wood Spenser Thermostat No 1041

Started by Doug Rose, December 13, 2014, 09:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is another find from the Phone Room redo. It is wood and quite big for a thermostat. 7.5" across, 10.5" front to back and 7" top to bottom. Made by Rubicon Co Philadelphia. It has a Bell System decal? Is it a later ad? No sure what it would be used for? Really nice shape, wood is pristine.

Any idea?....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

I have no idea what it is Doug, or what it was used for but it sure does look like it's in great shape.  I hope someone here can tell us.  It's a cool piece.

~Dennis

Dennis Markham

From a little bit of searching on the web it looks like Rubicon made precision electrical measuring equipment.  I saw one mention of a precision resistance measuring device used in the laboratory.   Perhaps your Wooden Thermostat is along those lines.

~Dennis

Doug Rose

thanks Paul....It is pictured right there!.....Outstanding....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

You're welcome.

I thought I remembered the model info was on the unit somewhere.  I collected scientific instruments and mechanical calculators before telephones, and had one on display for many years before it was displaced by a telephone.   Most of those collections are now boxed or "displayed" behind or under phones.  Galvanometers must have been popular in New England, with all the scientific labs here.  Mine came from a Todd Farm dealer at least 20 years ago.

Well, it wasn't buried too deep, so here are photos showing where the model info is on my unit.  If there was a similar tag on your set, I'm sure you would have seen it.  It looks like the screw that should hold one is visible in your photos.

Early Western Electric catalogs have galvanometers, but I haven't come across this model yet.  It's likely that the Bell System used them, and possible that they were sold by the Bell System at one time.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

paul-f

Doug,

For more New England history entertainment, search the internet for "Spencer Thermostat Company."

If you are interested in parting with your galvanometer, the Spencer family may be interested in it.

http://www.softslide.us/volumes/v2/t3/history/al.htm

(I'll expect my usual commission.  ;) )
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

dencins

A further update on Spencer Thermostat.

Metals and Controls including the Spencer Thermostat Division was bought by Texas Instruments in 1958.  The Spencer Thermostat Division became part of the Controls Division and was still producing Klixon disc devices (motor protectors, circuit breakers, florescence lighting protection, etc.) when I retired from Texas Instruments in 2003. 

In 2006 Texas Instruments sold the Materials & Controls business to a venture capital company and it became a company called Sensata still making the Klixon discs but manufacturing was moved from Attleboro, MA to overseas.

I can vaguely remember using a Rubicon galvanometer in electrical engineering lab while a student at WPI in the early 1960's.

Dennis Halworth

Doug Rose

thanks again Paul, I will be selling in in January, one of the casualties of cleaning up the phone room......many thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

thanks Paul, Dennis and Dennis....I contacted the Spenser family this morning. I'll keep you posted...thanks for all the info....Doug
Kidphone