News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 202 to 584A ringer box wiring problems

Started by Jf510, January 25, 2016, 04:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jf510

I thought I had the 202 to ringer box wiring down then I pulled out one set that I had stored that the 202 is wired to a 584A ringer box which I haven't worked on before and am a little stumped. I have dial tone and it dials out and rings but the ringer rings when dialing. The 202 has a 4H dial. The wiring I have is as follows:  Mounting cord in 202, red to R of dial, yellow to Y switch, grn to GN of switch. Handset is red to R dial, wht to W dial and blk to BK dial.  Strap from BK switch to Y dial & strap from W of switch to BB dial. On the 584A the mounting cord red to R, grn to GN and yell to L2/Y. Ringer red to L1 & blk to C. I switch the leads with no difference. The 149A condenser red to C & tan to L2/Y. Line cord red to L1 & grn to L2/Y. I switched those leads with no difference. What am I doing wrong? Your help is always appreciated.

Southernphoneman

Is that the only issue ? If so the coil of the ringer is picking up enough voltage when you dial it then moves the  clapper and that is why you hear the ringer ' One way to stop this is to adjust the spring On the ringer

Jf510

I do get a loud pop through the receiver every time the dial stops turning. My concern also is that all the other 202's I have wired to either a 634 to 684 I had a 4 wire mounting cord from the phone to the box. This one came with a 3 wire cord. Is this correct?

poplar1

With a 3-conductor mounting cord, you have a 102, not a 202, whether it has a round base or oval base. And yes, 3 conductors is correct for a 584A.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jf510

I didn't know that. The phone says D1 and as you said oval so I thought it was a 202. It does have a date of 31 and the 584 is 1930 so am older set. Is the wiring correct and is there a way to get rid of the pop when dialing? It was mentioned I can adjust the ringer spring to lesson the ring when dialing.

G-Man

Both your D-1 handset mounting and 584A subset are intended for sidetone (3-conductors) service.

Since your photograph is too washed-out to properly discern the color of the conductors, it would be easier if you verify they are connected properly by using the attached diagram.

Also, be sure to check that the shunting contacts are properly adjusted so as to eliminate clicks from being heard in the receiver.

Jf510

Thanks G-man. I am right on with the wiring on the 202. I never wired a 584A so is my wiring right there too also how do I know if the contacts are adjusted properly? I never messed with contacts before.