News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Estate Sale

Started by wds, September 26, 2017, 07:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Found those clocks.  The one one the left is missing the plastic cover and the hour hand.  Otherwise they seem to be in good shape. 
Dave

Sargeguy

Cool.  These clocks were Bell System issue as can be seen by the KS number on the backs. Most 8-Day clocks were used in vehicles but notice that the smaller register goes from 1-10. This is also a telco thing-dividing the minute by 100 Erlangs instead of 60 seconds, and would seem to indicate it was used in an exchange.  FYI: Watch experts advise you to remove the lenses as they will de-gas and cause the clocks' faces to corrode. Do any of them work?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

I wound them up and am waiting to see if they keep time.
Dave

wds

The two with the lens covers are keeping good time.  The other one tries to run, but just won't go.  Winding spring seems to be good - maybe just needs to be cleaned.
Dave

WEBellSystemChristian

Cool finds, especially as they are Bell System clocks.

Quote from: Sargeguy on October 19, 2017, 08:34:00 PMFYI: Watch experts advise you to remove the lenses as they will de-gas and cause the clocks' faces to corrode.

Wait a minute Sarge--did you mean that the clock lenses should NOT be removed, so that the faces DO NOT corrode from atmospheric gasses; or did you mean that they SHOULD be removed, in order to prevent gasses sealed in the clock from corroding the faces?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sargeguy

Celluloid lenses degrade and release formaldehyde gas that can corrode the painted surface of the clock.  My NET&T version was corroded by this process.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

I unpacked a few boxes today, mostly tools.  Here's a few pictures - maybe someone can ID some of theses. 

In the first picture, the tool on the right is Eureka.  All the others are either marked Bell System, or Western Electric.

The third picture - the contraption on the left - any ideas?

The fourth picture - the item on the left is a stapler.
Dave

HarrySmith

Those are some strange looking tools. I would be interested in what they were used for.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

SUnset2

The item on the right on the last picture marked KS 14792 L2 isn't a tool.  It is a bracket for a loudspeaker.
I'm attaching a picture of the speaker for reference.

wds

Unloaded a few more boxes, and found these pins.  The small box are Bell pins, not sure about the larger box.  Even a couple belt buckles.
Dave

wds

few more pictures.  The second picture is some kind of a burner.
Dave

Sargeguy

Interesting, you don't usually see the code stamped on the flange of the '39 Bell signs
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Found this 1997 Catalog from PhoneCo Inc.  28 Pages total.  A thread was started just a day or two ago with a phone listed on the last picture.  Hope to find  more of these.
Dave

wds

127A Ringer.
Dave

Sargeguy

Interesting example.  I like how they put the contacts so they connect when the lid is closed.  I have a couple like this.  I imagine this was not the most reliable method.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409