and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

49 Galion

Started by jeremylivin, February 26, 2010, 12:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremylivin

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190375365141#description
( dead link 08-25-21 )

How much is this phone worth?  Looks very clean.

Jeremy Livingston

JorgeAmely

I have one from 1955, with a North dial and a frequency ringer. Bakelite in pristine condition. I think I paid about $80 for it. But this one has an interesting dial from 1949. Probably worth more than that.

However, by looking in thrift and antique shops, you could easily bag a bargain that needs little work and could be a learning experience. 
Jorge

Dennis Markham

This one also appears to have a frequency ringer.  So it's not going to ring.

JorgeAmely

The seller says it receives calls. However, he didn't say that you have to be next to the phone and feel it vibrate to get the call.  ???
Jorge

Doug Rose

I guess I don't know the difference, mine looks just the same. What is the difference between mine and a frequency ringer. Is it the markings on the ringer?  My Galion rings. My Galion is the first picture, the auction is the second....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, look at the heavy clapper on the bottom photo.  That usually tells that it is a frequency ringer.  The clapper shaft is thick and heavy.  Yours has that hammer type clapper.  Any straight line ringers for a Galion that I have touched have that hammer style (what I call a hammer style--reminds me of a hammer head shark).

Added Info:  Look at this one shown on Oldphoneworks site.  It is the hammer type and shown as a Straight Line ringer.  They are currently out of stock.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/ringer-for-north-electric-galion.html

Dennis Markham

I'd say as Jorge implied, that one probably vibrates just enough to "tinkle" those gongs.  Nothing like a straight line ringer would sound.

JorgeAmely

Dennis:

The seller says it is a party line ringer and that it works. He didn't say that is was a 20 Hz frequency ringer, which would work perfectly as a straight line ringer.

There must be a catalog somewhere that shows if Galion made a 20 Hz frequency ringers.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

One question, one comment.

What makes the dial special.

He better clean the steel wool remnants form the ringer before they drift and short something out. I always blow my stuff out with compressed air.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

I guess it depends on what his definition of IS IS.  Substitute "works" for IS.

I don't know about a 20hz party line ringer.  I'm no electric expert but it seems to me it's going to take some juice to swing that heavy clapper back and forth quick enough to sound like a normal ringer.

Dan, I saw those shavings too and thought the same thing.

For those that haven't heard one, I have a Galion Ringer Wav that I'll attach.  I recorded it from a Galion that I refurbished.  Doug, it probably sounds just like yours.

JorgeAmely

Dennis:

Looong time ago, on a reply post to Jonathan, I posted all the frequency ringer frequencies, which ranged from 16 to 63 Hz I believe. I got the list from a North 541 document.

In that list there is a 20 Hz frequency ringer, because it is electrically possible to gang together a bunch of phones with all kinds of frequencies, including 20 Hz.

The benefit for a phone collector who happens to have a 20 Hz frequency ringer is that is works well in a non-party line also.
Jorge

jeremylivin

Dennis,

Thanks for the ring sound!  Might save that as my ringtone on the cell phone.  :)

So as I'm still learning, why would they make a frequency ringer if it didn't work?  Or is that something that just degrades with time and therefore isn't likely to work nowadays?  I can definitely see the difference between the two though.

btw:  I'm not planning on buying this one.  If I bought one it'd be old and dirty (and probably half the cost).  
Jeremy Livingston

jeremylivin

Oh I think Jorge just answered my question...

So on a party line the "hz" would be high enough to ring these phones, but they don't use those anymore...  right?
Jeremy Livingston

Dan/Panther

I know one thing, the dial in mine is VERY solid, and has a steady smooth return with a nice click sound to it. I like it over the WE dial.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Thank you Jorge for that information. 

Jeremy, correct.  An individual's phone would have a certain frequency or Hz ringer.  When the call was for that individual the phone company would send down the proper ringing voltage to ring that particular phone.  Usually that was a function of the Independent phone company, from what I understand.  Although I think the Bell System did use frequency ringers from time to time, most were all straight line ringers and each person had a different ringing sequence...all on one party line.  You got two shorts and a long ring...your neighbor may get two longs and a short, etc. to identify who was supposed to answer.  I'm sure I have the idea correct, but may not have the exact particulars correct.