News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction (30 Cancelled: Listing Terminated) - Red GPO telephone

Started by bingster, May 20, 2009, 10:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

It's real pretty, and red acts like a lure, pulling out lots of loot, plus it's rare no matter what it is exactly.

$500

Dan/Panther

Stephen, contraste;
Is there really a Nottingham Forest, and is there a Sheriff ?

D/P

$285.00

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Stephen Furley

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 22, 2009, 01:12:12 PM
Stephen, contraste;
Is there really a Nottingham Forest, and is there a Sheriff ?

Nottingham Forest certainly exists; it's a football club, but I don't think that's quite what you meant.  If you go back a few hundred years or so, a large area of central England, including the area area around Nottingham, was forest.  There's still a Services area on the M1 Motorway (the main road from London to Yorkshire) called Leicester Forest East, my coach stopped there in the early hours of Tuesday morning.  This is not very far from Nottingham.

I'm not sure if there  was ever a 'Sheriff of Nottingham', but the title of 'Sheriff' did exist in this Country, but didn't mean the same as it does in the US.

benhutcherson

Given the price of the collecting block only, I'd have to guess $450 on the phone.

contraste

As Stephen says there is a football team called Nottingham Forest who I have supported since I was a young lad.

There is a Sherwood forest (near Nottingham) where Robin Hood is supposed to have roamed with his men and in fact there used to be an official Sheriff way back when.

McHeath

Looks like another sale ended early due to an error in the listing.

Dan/Panther

I emailed him and told him if he took less than $500.00 he got hosed. :o

Dan/Panther

He wrote me back, and said he was told by people in England it was a repro.
D/P

Thanks fore the responses about Nottingahm Forest, not meant to be sarcastic, but lately I've hearing many stories about Robin Hood, King Arthur, and Merlin as not being real people.
Merlin they now claim was a title and not a person, that King Arthur was really King Uther ?
I'm glad in the Colonies we don't have these ficticious characters. :o :o

Stephen Furley

I've just had a look at the other pictures; the markings on the handset do look rather indistinct for a genuine GPO 'phone, but the drawer does look genuine; I don't think I've seen a reproduction which has one, but of course that certainly doesn't mean that there aren't any.

The handset cord doesn't look right, but of course these can be changed.

The last price I saw on it would be good for a reproduction, and incredible if genuine.

Steve

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 26, 2009, 01:13:06 PM
I emailed him and told him if he took less than $500.00 he got hosed. :o

Mr. Helpfull?? is that you???? :o
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dan/Panther

I assumed he had sold it with an offer, and I just wanted to make him regret it.
D/P

Ellen

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 26, 2009, 01:39:06 PM
I'm glad in the Colonies we don't have these fictitious characters. :o :o

What, like Mike Fink and Paul Bunyan and Babe Ruth? ;)  I mean, Babe the blue ox?  And Kokopelli, John Henry, Coyote, Uncle Remus, Molly Pitcher?  We have lots of legendary people.  Disney has redefined a lot of them, as has our romantic retellings of history.  How about Columbus discovering America?  There is so much wrong with this one sentence!*  But it's a great story anyway.

* 1. He discovered the West Indies, not the continent.
2. He was lost, and continued to think he was halfway around the world from where he really was.
3. A number of Europeans got here before him.
4. The native people had been here thousands of years before that!

ps. This is based on my memory of things I have read, not true reporting on scientific historical study.  Take it with a grain of salt and look it up yourself if you are interested. :)

Dan/Panther

Ellen;
Those peopel are real, I saw them on, "The Wonderful world of Disney", in the 50's and 60's.
Nice try anyhow....
Everyone also knows that Vikings weren't civilized, and the Indians don't count..
So the White European wins...
I bet you think the Wright Brothers were the first to fly....

D/P

Ellen

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 27, 2009, 10:46:58 AM
Those peopel are real,
first to fly....

Dan-Pan-Man, You are gullible. :o

First to fly were the pteradactyls and the mosquitoes.