News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

how does this switchboard work

Started by Gravityisahat, June 26, 2018, 08:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gravityisahat

This is a French switchboard and I have figured most of the functionality out but as a inexperienced collector I would appreciate some help with the questions highlighted in green.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to find any documentation on French equipment in either English or French - or at least I cannot find any but i am assuming experienced collectors of American equipment might be able to recognise standard patterns of functionality. I have a British switchboard on which the red switches have a night exchange function. The biggest mystery is the local switch far R. is it possible this is distinguishing itself from the others as a 'Local' battery connection for connecting to magneto phones?

Thanks for looking.
Chris

Owain

I think the wording at the top means 'Central Battery and Automatic' so unlikely to have magneto calling extensions or lines. The momentary call switch bottom right might be for ringing back the calling extension if they've hung up.

'Local' may mean the local buzzer/alarm silent

If there are two exchange lines then the red switches may well be for putting each line into a night service mode, or may be for putting the exchange line onto the same calling circuit as an extension.

Gravityisahat

Thanks very much for your response.

I think you are probably correct. My only uncertainties are that - without or without operating the red switches, lifting the white extension switches connects them to the exchange - thus the night service mode seems redundant - then again i am not sure i understand exactly what night service mode is?

the local buzzer alarm solution seems very feasible given that at present the switchboard indicator drop as they should when picking up an extension but there is no accompanying sound. i assume the buzzer you refer to is a dc bell of some kind? i have got one i will give it a go.

sorry to be so ignorant about all this. i really appreciate the help.

chris

RB

Those nite mode switches, bypassed the board, and tied a line to an extension, so you could dial out directly without needing the op to make the connection.
do you have a pic or two of the inside?
also the line connections?

Gravityisahat

I have followed your suggestions and it all makes sense now - i have the alarm working as well - thanks very much