News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Italian princess...

Started by twocvbloke, October 21, 2012, 12:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Spotted this on ebay UK yesterday, but forgot to mention it, from what I see, it's basically a Princess clone, though I haven't a clue if it shares anything with the original... ???

I don't plan to buy it (not my sort of colour), just thought I'd point it out to anyone who hasn't seen it... :)

Makes me wonder, being an Italian princess, if it has hairy armpits too!! :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110964838591

LarryInMichigan

dsk

That link was informative. Quite an interesting model. It looks like the ringer, and the induction coil is wound on the same core. They have managed to put in a dual gong system too! Impressing. Still the wiring looks like a copy of the WE 500 except for missing varistors for automatic compensation of line current.

dsk

twocvbloke

I did actually search the forum for anything to do with "italian" and "princess", and the nearest I got was that 500 with the arabic dial.... ???

I think the people behind the Simple Machines Forum software need to have a rethink about their search system, cos it's no good.... :D

Anyway, interesting to see the guts of one of these phones, does seem very close to the originals, if it was any other colour I'd probably have had a punt at it, but, I cannot stand pink anything, it's just one of them colours that annoys my eyes... :o

dsk

Quote from: twocvbloke on October 21, 2012, 04:14:02 PM
I did actually search the forum for anything to do with "italian" and "princess", and the nearest I got was that 500 with the arabic dial.... ???

I think the people behind the Simple Machines Forum software need to have a rethink about their search system, cos it's no good.... :D

Anyway, interesting to see the guts of one of these phones, does seem very close to the originals, if it was any other colour I'd probably have had a punt at it, but, I cannot stand pink anything, it's just one of them colours that annoys my eyes... :o

Please look very close to that thread again, and yes it is some more about the Italian princess in that thread.

dsk

JubileeCompact

My other half won it- its sitting beside me as I type this. The Italian plug was unscrewed and replaced with a PO terminal block with a flylead on it. It needed virtually no conversion although the microphone needed refitting.

Seamus
Seamus

Owain

Quote from: JubileeCompact on November 05, 2012, 01:12:22 PM
My other half won it- its sitting beside me as I type this. The Italian plug was unscrewed and replaced with a PO terminal block with a flylead on it. It needed virtually no conversion although the microphone needed refitting.

Seamus

the Italian 3-prong (tripolari) phone plug is the same as the British 5-amp round pin.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Owain on November 05, 2012, 03:40:00 PMthe Italian 3-prong (tripolari) phone plug is the same as the British 5-amp round pin.

I can't help but think that isn't quite right, the pin spacing looks a little too close for the two A & B pins on the italian plug there, and the BS546 5A plug has smaller pins for the Live & Neutral, so if they were the same pin spacing, they wouldn't make good contact, or even fit into the socket...  :-\

LM Ericsson

I have a phone with that exact plug.
Regards,
-Grayson

twocvbloke

Quote from: LM Ericsson on November 05, 2012, 08:19:31 PM
I have a phone with that exact plug.

If you have a BS546 5A plug too, it'd be handy to do a side-by-side comparison... :D

I have the latter (and some original MK sockets too, plugs were from B&Q at their extortionate prices), but not the former, so have only pictures to go by...

LM Ericsson

Here is a picture of it
Regards,
-Grayson

dsk

It looks quite like the old Norwegian plug.

dsk

twocvbloke

Quote from: LM Ericsson on November 05, 2012, 09:40:30 PM
Here is a picture of it

Yeah, somehow I don't think it'd fit a BS546 5A socket...

Measuring the pin spacing against the 5A plug would show whether it's the same or not, and Wikipedia happens to have the measurements, saving me finding where my ruler is... :D

http://tinyurl.com/casg3bt

And a pic of one of my NOS MK 5A sockets:

poplar1

What's the purpose of the toggle switch?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

twocvbloke

Quote from: poplar1 on November 06, 2012, 11:25:44 AM
What's the purpose of the toggle switch?

You mean the switch next to the switched socket? :D

('spose I should point out that BS546 is the standard for round pin 240v 50Hz mains sockets that used to be standard here in the UK, never to be used with telephones!!)