News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

RED Metal North Galion

Started by Doug Rose, January 10, 2015, 09:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

A few months ago a Metal North painted Red went for $150 from seller surlyoujest which was beautiful. I asked a friend to paint a metal north I had red. It came out better than expected. I cleaned up the original north dial. The dial card is one I had made years ago. ...Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Very nice, Doug!

Quite the striking red, as seen on my display. Has a pink tone to it as I see it.

What type of paint was used?

dsk

Even for me mostly focused on whats inside, this is a jewel. Congratulations.

dsk

WesternElectricBen

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, that looks really good!

It almost looks like it has a slight transparency to it, like thermoplastic color 302s!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

John...it is a pinkish red which I was pleasantly surprised with. Looks much better than I envisioned it and looks much better in person. I am not sure on what paint was used, I am guessing a polane as the finish is just great.....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Is Polane strictly liquid Spray, or do they have a powder coat version.
I have painted a million items in my life, and NEVER get a finish like that.
I think Aliens did it.

Beautiful phone.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

unbeldi

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 10, 2015, 01:10:55 PM
Is Polane strictly liquid Spray, or do they have a powder coat version.
I have painted a million items in my life, and NEVER get a finish like that.
I think Aliens did it.

Beautiful phone.

D/P

I do not think that one can distinguish Polane from other paints by the gloss or surface it produces.

Polane is a two-component poly-urethane paint that polymerizes quickly as it is applied to the surface.  The mixture of the two components is prepared just before application. As part of the chemical process, it also binds to the substrate chemically, and therefore produces difficult to remove coatings.  Other paints provide similar surface quality when applied professionally with good equipment, but may not adhere permanently as well.

skyrider

Sweet! Looks like the inside of a Georgia watermelon. Love it.
Bill Compton

Doug Rose

Here is the auction I saw of the Red North, which is wonderful....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Wide-Body-Lucy-Telephone-Bell-System-Rotary-Dial-/131376464021
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I like the chrome fingerwheel and brown cords better.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

persido

Wow Doug that came together nicely, I agree the brown cords look great.

Scot

Doug Rose

Scot....it did come out great, nice job painting it! Scot (persido) has painted a few phones for me and the came out fantastic. I don't think there is any issue painting a metal phone, as they were painted originally. Maybe not in this color, but they were painted.

Scot can have a real nice business refurbing phones. He is a perfectionist and it shows.....Doug
Kidphone