News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg B925 BAX - What does "M.F.P." stand for? - Original Paint?

Started by ma_xyz, February 20, 2019, 02:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ma_xyz

Just got this delivered. Got it on eBay (in Germany) for 24Euro (~26$):
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Schoenes-Tischtelefon-im-Art-Deco-Stil-Masterphon-verm-Amerika-ca-1930-/223356860741

On Bottom Stamped "B925 BAX"
Capacitor #203, stamped "Aug. 1945" and "M.F.P."
Coil 106A, stamped "M.F.P."
Ringer 116G, stamped "M.F.P."

Somebody knows what "M.F.P." stands for? (I found that the Kellogg Catalogues from the time on tci library contain parts with designation "MFP" but did not find anywhere what it stands for).

The Phone is painted black. It does not look hand painted, but also the paint job is not very good, does not look factory painted at first. I initially assumed that someone painted it for the looks and was thinking that I want to strip the paint. But then I found that the Handset inside is also painted and the Handset type (F-27-C) is stamped on top of the paint. Could it bee that these phones were originally painted? Not sure If I still want to strip the paint. It has a a lot of corners where paint is chipped.

Needs clean up, and probably paint stripping.

I like the look of this phone very much.

Michael

HarrySmith

Signal Corps U.S. Military. "Moisture & Fungus Proofed". Should have a Signal Corps stamp somewhere.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11316.0

Scroll down to M
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

ma_xyz

Thanks a lot to all for the information! (Also never saw the acronym post before now I know where i can also search for other acronyms.)

I did not find a Signal Corps Stamp. Could perhaps have been warn off. Or the illegible round stamp on the capacitor could be a Signal Corps stamp?

I understand now that it most probably was a Phone in use by Military. Perhaps used in Germany by US troops stationed there.

Still unsure if I should strip the paint.
Will clean up, test, and post pictures when done.

Doug Rose

I have seen the Signal Corps vermillion right on the Bakelite shell on Kellogg phones.  They would usually rub off when used or painted over in this case.  Doug
Kidphone

ma_xyz

thanks for the info doug.

i now allready put paint stripper on the phone ... so now for sure I will never know :-)
but probably it also was not signal corps but mfp treated for any other reason. doesn't really matter. is a beauty anyway.

will post pictures when done.

david@london

Lovely find ma xyz -

that's a highly desirable phone.......well, I highly desire one!

Good decision on the paint removal.....

Have a look at this feature on a discovery of a stash of these Kellogg 925s.....

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/4678-my-best-find-ever--kellogg-phones-store

So MFP means 'moisture + fungus protected' .......  and there was I thinking it was Shirley Bassey's record label.

ma_xyz

Thanks David - Very interesting Story. And thanks for reminding us to put on some shirely bassey records from time to time :-)

Paint stripped well. Everything nicely cleaned and polished and mounted again.

I'm happy with the results.

ma_xyz

ps
- I did not strip the paint inside the handset where the handset type is stamped on
- I did replace the coiled handset cord, the leads plastic is very dray and brakes of, for the time being I used the brown fabric line cord which has also three leads

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Outstanding! Makes you wonder why they painted it in the first place. This is one of the toughest phones to get without cracks or chips. Superb refurb!.....Doug
Kidphone

Babybearjs

I'd be adding a dial to that one... make it usable! not just an extension...
John

Doug Rose

I disagree....leave it as is...it's is a stunning set..It took me years to find my manual Kellogg 925 that I found in 2016....twins  ;D.....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16772.msg173290#msg173290
Kidphone

ma_xyz

@Harry @Doug: Thx!

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 22, 2019, 12:19:55 PMtwins
Indeed :-)

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 22, 2019, 09:07:49 AM
... Makes you wonder why they painted it in the first place ...
Strange. I'm also still wondering how come that on the handset inside there is also some kind of paint and on top of that paint the product id stamp. I would be interested to get pictures of others of these handsets to compare.

@Babybear: thx for the suggestion but I agree with Doug - it is stunning as it is - apart from that there are already (more than) enough phones with dial around the house - and the other minor problem is also that the amount of Kellogg dials in my possession is 0 :-)

HarrySmith

Hey Doug, how about a side by side pic with manual & dial sets? I think that would look cool. That is one of the objectives for my collection, trying to get manual & dial models of each.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"