News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 1950 RCA Victor 16" television Family set replacement.

Started by Bill Cahill, February 16, 2009, 10:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

Quote from: bingster on February 19, 2009, 09:57:59 AM
UHF channels aren't going away? Just VHF?  I have a converter... what can I do with it after the transition?

I don't know.. Use it?
The converter box is for the analog vhf channels.
The  gov. already told low wattage stations on uhf they have no problem at this time.
Of course, there aren't alot of good uhf stations around here. Mostly hispanic stuff.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

McHeath

We watch the hispanic stations every so often.  Not that we speak Spanish, I can muddle along and catch about one word in ten, but the fun thing is figuring out the plot without knowing the words.  And the actors and actresses are amazingly good looking, kind of shockingly pretty people that make regular American TV stars look rather plain.  We also get a TV station in Assyrian (!) which is pretty much always dance/drama shows, that comes out of Modesto.  There's also a Japanese station here locally, as well as an East Indian station which shows a lot of Bollywood stuff and music videos.  We get over 25 broadcast stations so there is usually something on that you don't want to watch.   :)

Bill Cahill

Wow. Sounds like you get some interesting channels there. Neat.
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Bill Cahill

While we are at it, let's show two more photos. One, of the tube chart inside my set. Reason? Because I wanted to satisfy my own need to find out if they may have double numbered that tube. They didn't.
The other, a picture of a magazine advertisement for three models of the set, including the one I own. The Regency.
Bill Cahill

AET

Wow, y'all get a lot of channels! Before the digitization, we had 3-CBS, 15-NBC, 27-ABC, 47-FOX, and 57-CW.  There is a new digital channel WKOW 27.2, it's RTN Retro Television Network.  They play awesome shows!  I have dish and still have the converter box just to watch some of the shows, like Leave it to Beaver, Marcus Welby, Rockford Files, Dragnet, Incredible Hulk, Magnum P.I and lots of other great shows!  My folks can't beleive I like these shows, being that I'm only 18.
- Tom

Bill Cahill

Actually, back when I was young, on a roof antenna, we got WJBK tv 2 Det., CBS,
WWJ tv NBC Ch 4 Det.,  WXYZ ABC ch. 7 Det., and, CKLW ch. 9 CBC Canada.
On good skip days we could receive Channel 11 Toledo, Ohio, and, Ch. 13 Toledo Ohio.

Back in the early days of the 50's, Ch 9 went off the air at night with an insturmental version of "O, Canada".
Channel 2 went off the air with "The syncopated clock" by Percxy Faith, and, woke you up in the morning at five am with a test pattern, and, music.
At six am, they showed "Sunrise semester", a high school course.

Oh. At about 5:50 am ch 2 had the farm reports.
At 7 am it was ch 7 for "The Johnny Ginger Show", and, at 8, back to ch 2 for "Captain Kangaroo".
At about 11 am it was back to ch 7 for "The Soupy Sales Show".
At 6 pm it was time for "The Popeye Show" starring Poopdeck Paul, and, Captain Jolly on Ch 9.
Numerous other favorites were on at different times. One show my father got me to love on Wednesday nights was " Sing along with Mitch" starring Mitch Miller and the gang.
Boy, were those the days........
I have dvd set of "Supercar" a marionette program about a flying car, and, I'm still trying to afford the set for "Fireball XL5".
on Sunday mornings I enjoyed a children's religious puppet show called "Davey and, Goliath".

Each year that my body grows older, my mind grows younger....  ;D
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

I have a 1950 RCA Victor Mahoganny UHF converter that I think I will re build. Needs new filters.
Bill Cahill

AET

Your reply reminded me of the Statler Brothers line from their song Flowers on the Wall "Smokin' Cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo, now don't tell me, I have nothin' to do" 

Say hi to Mr. Green Jeans for me!
- Tom

Bill Cahill

Now, don't tell me I've nothin' to do...........  ;D

"Comic books, and, rubber bands. Climbin' to the tree top.
Fallin' down, and, holdin' hands. Trycicles, and, red pop.
Pony rides on Sunday night. Roller skates, and, yo-yos.
Fairy tales, and, snowball fights. Climbin' through the window.
Remember when you were a kid?
Well, part of you still is..
And, that's why we make Faygo.....
Faygo    remembers....
Faygo    remembers........"  ;D
Bill Cahill

JimH

I think Faygo was just a Detroit thing, wasn't it?  How about Towne Club?
Jim H.

bingster

We used to get Faygo in Maryland in the 1970s, but it disappeared somewhere around 1980.  It showed up again a couple years ago.

Quote from: Bill Cahill on February 22, 2009, 07:37:35 AM"Comic books, and, rubber bands. Climbin' to the tree top.
Faygo    remembers....

Here's the song in an old commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQqyDj7RX6Y

Ten points to whoever knows the name of the man in the commercial.  Hint: The giggle should give it away if you're a "listener."
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Bingster, thanks for posting that link to the Faygo commercial.  It's been a long time since I heard that.  Of course, around here in Michigan we heard that a lot.  I do not remember the actor's name however.

AET

They sell Faygo in 3 liter bottles here at the Dollar Tree in town.
- Tom

Bill Cahill

Quote from: JimH on February 22, 2009, 09:15:21 AM
I think Faygo was just a Detroit thing, wasn't it?  How about Towne Club?

No, actually Faygo was wide spread. In fact, in the late televison commercial, not the radio one, where they had a very large group of people singing "Remember when you were a kid?"  While standing on the deck of a large steam boat, Had the great Gildersleeve leading them. He even had his habitual laugh.
Bill Cahill 

Bill Cahill

Quote from: bingster on February 22, 2009, 09:18:08 AM
We used to get Faygo in Maryland in the 1970s, but it disappeared somewhere around 1980.  It showed up again a couple years ago.

Quote from: Bill Cahill on February 22, 2009, 07:37:35 AM"Comic books, and, rubber bands. Climbin' to the tree top.
Faygo    remembers....

Here's the song in an old commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQqyDj7RX6Y

Ten points to whoever knows the name of the man in the commercial.  Hint: The giggle should give it away if you're a "listener."

Why, that was none other than the Great Gilcersleeve himself!!!!
Bill Cahill