News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 1950 RCA Victor 16" television Family set replacement.

Started by Bill Cahill, February 16, 2009, 10:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

I repaired a record changer locally for a fellow collector in the area. He picked up two treats for me.
Two days ago he picked up a dvd set of commercials.
Today, he brought over a dvd set of BW Dragnet series.
Yesterdqay, I ordered two dvd sets through Amazon.com.
One The complete set of Fireball XL5.
The other the first season of McHales' Navy.

My early tv shows are starting to pile up.....  ;D
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Bill Cahill

"The story you have just seen is true."

BEYOND

STEP

....ONE   

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Bill Cahill

Today I received another dvd set I ordered.
Tonight, I enjoyed five episodes of it.
"Fireball XL 5."
Love the song at the end.

Bill Cahill

McHeath

Never seen Fireball XL5 but I have heard of it.  Will have to dig up an episode and see. 

Bill Cahill

Last night I nearly had a disastor!!  :o
I was watching McHales' Navy on dvd on the tv. In the background, there was a thunderstorm brewing, but, it was still far away.

Suddenly, lightning hit the power line outside, and, there were major surges, blackouts, and, more surges, all in a few seconds.
My 75 Watt bulb in my mother's lamp suddenly lit the entire room, and, I heard louc arcing outside, and, a very loud bang. All this happenned as I was reaching fro the switch on the tv.
When it had finnished, I had a very small dim raster on the tv, and, no reception.  :o :(
I shut everything down,as I normally do before a storm.
After the storm, I powered the computer back up, and, made sure it was still working.
I sat a few min., then, very slowly powered up the tv. As it was coming to life, I turned on the dvd player.
Finnished powering up tv. Picture faded in, and, set played the dvd just fine.
Later, I played tv for two hours to make sure it was fine.
It played o.k.
I shut everything down, and, went to bed.
That was at two am.
A lesson to be learned here is even if the storm is distant, take NO chances. Shut everything down.
Bill Cahill

bingster

Given all the time you spent getting this one back up and running, it would be a great idea to put it on a good surge protector, and use an antenna protector if it's hooked up to an outside antenna.
= DARRIN =

Bill Cahill

Nope. It's on cable, and, dvd player.
My outlet strips have a limited surge protector.
Our line took a direct hit.
Surge was quite high.
Perhaps the surge protector in my stip did protect it.....
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

Ahhhh. Just totally enjoyed 3.5 more hours of McHale's Navy on tv.
I also ordered two more seasons of same.
Next mont I'll order season four.
I'm having a great time!!!!!!!
Bill Cahill

McHeath

I haven't seen McHale's Navy for a coons age.  It was a pretty fun show as I recall. 

HobieSport

I'm not sure how well the cheap surge protectors actually do their job. A friend of ours had one burst into flame on their living room TV and stereo.  I don't know why it "flamed on", whether it was a surge or just lousy manufacturing.  We keep our computers etc. on good quality surge protectors.  Kind of ironic if a cheap protector meant to save your equipment ends up burning your house down. :P

However, I'm glad that you're TV survived the big surge, Bill.  Do you think the surge protector worked in your case?

McHale's Navy was a fun show.  Tim Conway was great in it. :)
-Matt

Bill Cahill

I think it may have helped some.
I'm collecting old tv shows on dvd, and, vhs tape.
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

Well, the saga of the RCA tv continues. Tonight, I turned it on for the first time in several days.
After about 15 sec. of warm up, I heard a loud pop.
Sound came on. No hv.
After several more seconds of no good luck trying to get a picture, I shut it off.
After several min. of sitting turned off, I smelled the faint aroma of a burned resistor.
Back to square one.
Bill Cahill  ??? :o :(

McHeath

Nowadays you'd just throw it all in the trash and buy another, but you can actually fix this one. 

Bill Cahill

And, fix it I will. But, not right away. I have another tv on the bench right now.
On an angry note:
This94j;miopw[[
lhr[e
tkrh
eit9tphht0 Computer has crashed 4, that's FOUR times tonight. IE quits, and, computer has lock up heart attack.  ::) :o >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Bill Cahill

HobieSport

Bill, are you using Internet Explorer or Firefox? I switched to Firefox for my web browser years ago and it seems to have a lot less problems, plus it blocks most of those pesky pop up ads.
-Matt