News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Craig's List Find: Old Rose 302 3/39

Started by JimH, October 08, 2014, 10:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

I was lucky enough to find this on Craig's List.  Original undisturbed 1939 painted 302 in Old Rose.  It was pretty dirty, and I got it for $70.  It cleaned up nice, and has the original matching dial mask.  Just a few blemishes here and there, and the typical paint loss on the ear cap.  The handset is brown seamless bakelite. The man I bought it from said he got it from a woman in her 80s, and it had been her childhood telephone.  It has a brown line cord that is about 25 feet long.  It was missing the number card, so I added one I had.

The first pic is from the ad on CL, then after I cleaned it up.  I guess they're still out there!
Jim H.

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

unbeldi

I think we have seen this phone here on the forum before, someone was trying to buy it, but the seller didn't want to ship, or the price wasn't right, or so.

Very nice find.

JimH

Quote from: unbeldi on October 08, 2014, 10:39:04 PM
I think we have seen this phone here on the forum before, someone was trying to buy it, but the seller didn't want to ship, or the price wasn't right, or so.

Very nice find.
Really.  I didn't see that post.  When I saw the CL ad it said it was posted 3 days ago, and I got it yesterday.  It was only about 25 minutes from my house. 
Jim H.

unbeldi

Very nice find.

Ok, I found it.... Here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11892.msg126470#msg126470

JimH

Quote from: unbeldi on October 08, 2014, 10:42:45 PM

Very nice find.

Ok, I found it.... Here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11892.msg126470#msg126470
He was asking $75.  I was going to be in the area, so I thought I'd take a look.  It looked much better in person than the picture.  He didn't want to take less than $70, so I just paid it.
Jim H.

Sargeguy

That was the one LarryInMichigan was going to pick up for me this Sunday!!! :'(
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

JimH

Quote from: Sargeguy on October 08, 2014, 10:52:27 PM
That was the one LarryInMichigan was going to pick up for me this Sunday!!! :'(
Geez...sorry, guys!  He never said anyone else was interested, or anything!  I guess he just saw the cash.
Jim H.

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice find, and nice cleanup! I saw that when someone here was trying to buy it. When I heard that it was local only, I gave up any hopes of getting it.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

LarryInMichigan

I was away from my computer for a few days, but I was planning to try to get that phone tomorrow (Sun) morning after my visit to the flea market (which is about a mile from the seller's house).  I am glad to see that it cleaned up well.  I had serious doubts about it when I looked at it over the summer.  I tried to buy it at that time, but the owner wouldn't sell it to me.

Larry

unbeldi

I am a little confused about the paint condition on this phone.

Did you repaint it?   The original picture is so different from yours.  I tried to adjust color to see if that makes any difference, but not.

Larry mentioned that he saw it and the paint was very faded. It doesn't seem that way at all in your pictures.

Would you mind reading all dates of this phone?
Please also the date impression on the handset rim under the receiver cap.

JimH

Quote from: unbeldi on October 11, 2014, 08:56:27 PM
I am a little confused about the paint condition on this phone.

Did you repaint it?   The original picture is so different from yours.  I tried to adjust color to see if that makes any difference, but not.

Larry mentioned that he saw it and the paint was very faded. It doesn't seem that way at all in your pictures.

Would you mind reading all dates of this phone?
Please also the date impression on the handset rim under the receiver cap.

I didn't repaint it,  I just cleaned it.  I think the CL picture was taken outside in the sun with a bad reflection, making the handset appear really light.  Notice how light the handset cord looks in the CL picture.  I didn't do anything to the cord.  The handset is faded a bit more than the body, but when it's on the phone (as in my picture), it doesn't look that different. 

The component markings are as follows:

Dial: Just "5J", I don't see a date without removing the dial.
Dial Plate:  I-39
Ringer:  3/39
Induction Coil:  I-39
Base:  3/39
Body: H 1,  (in vermillion), on the inside rear bottom edge.
Receiver capsule:  2-1-39
Transmitter Capsule:  3/39

There are no date markings on the inside of the brown bakelite handset.
Jim H.

poplar1

Quote from: JimH on October 12, 2014, 12:05:27 PM

Starting in early '39, instead of a date stamped in ink near the cord entrance, WE started adding a date molded code on the handle. Please look again with the receiver cap removed. It should be a code such as 19 (for 1/39), 29 (for 2/39), 39, etc.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Here is a sample date on an F1 handset that we are looking for.

This handset was made in May 1939, marked  "59".   Highlighted in the yellow dashed oval.

I believe this is still the earliest brown Bakelite handset, so marked, that we have found.
You have a chance to beat that !

JimH

Quote from: poplar1 on October 12, 2014, 01:45:40 PM
Quote from: JimH on October 12, 2014, 12:05:27 PM

Starting in early '39, instead of a date stamped in ink near the cord entrance, WE started adding a date molded code on the handle. Please look again with the receiver cap removed. It should be a code such as 19 (for 1/39), 29 (for 2/39), 39, etc.
The only numbers I could find on the handset with the receiver cap removed are so small I almost missed it.  It looks like "46" is molded or stamped on the rim.  I also have an ivory painted 302 set with a seamless brown bakelite handset from 1940.  It appears to have "129" stamped or molded on, in larger numbers, although it looks like it may have another number under it, in a smaller size, possibly ending in a 4.  I can't make out the other number.
Jim H.