News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 on CL

Started by Netdewt, March 16, 2010, 08:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netdewt

"Old rotary dial telephone. Center cap missing from dial face. $10.00 Cash only."
"It's either Bakelite or plastic.  Made in Canada by Northern Electric.  It's in pretty good shape (aside from the missing 'center' piece on the dial) but does need to be cleaned."

2.5 hrs from my house... I'd probably have to get it mailed. Northern Electric? Is that right?

LarryInMichigan

It looks like a reasonable deal, except for the 2.5 hour drive part.  Ont of the feet apparently needs to be recovered.  Replacement dial centers are not hard to find.  Steve Hilsz may have the.  It could certainly be a Northern Electric.  They made the same 302s that WE made.

Larry

bwanna

even w/shipping cost.. a good deal. what the heck...may a day trip to go pick it up. stop at all the antique stores & flea markets along the way ;)
donna

Netdewt

I sent the check! Let's hope he's honest and that my wife doesn't beat me with it when it comes in the mail!

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Netdewt on March 19, 2010, 01:31:05 AM
I sent the check! Let's hope he's honest and that my wife doesn't beat me with it when it comes in the mail!

You will eventually learn to have phones shipped to work or grab them before you wife sees it.

I try to grab it before the wife sees it. once it is in the phone room it blends in.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AET

I do this with my Dad, or he'll yell at me for wasting my money on phones (even though I haven't bought any in months) Once they're in my room, they just are able to hide well.

Quote from: Jim S. on March 19, 2010, 01:35:09 AM
Quote from: Netdewt on March 19, 2010, 01:31:05 AM

You will eventually learn to have phones shipped to work or grab them before you wife sees it.

I try to grab it before the wife sees it. once it is in the phone room it blends in.
Jim
- Tom

Kenny C

nobody on my dresser!  ;) ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Netdewt

Got the phone today! It seems to be in pretty good condition. A few little scuffs on the plastic base, but they look buffable to me. There is one big crack on the back right corner, but it looks like no pieces have chipped off. The dial is slower than my 500 and 554, but it looks to be in working order. The line cord is cut, so I'll have to do some monkeying to see if it actually works. F1 handset is all bakelite and it has no cracks or scuffs, just some fading. I'll need to replace the suede on the feet, but all the hardware is present.

Sources for suede, cloth cords? How to glue the crack?

It is dated 11-54. I didn't know they made them that late!?

AET

I have 6 500's and an AE80 on my dresser.

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on March 19, 2010, 12:42:25 PM
nobody on my dresser!  ;) ;D
- Tom

Netdewt

It works! Sort of... it dials and talks perfectly, but does not ring.

It desperately needs a bath because it smells strongly of smoke. Probably 50 year old smoke? I'm a little nervous to take it apart though because of how the cover is wired to the base. I'm sure you guys will help me put it back together if I screw up though.

Dennis Markham

Draw diagrams as you disassemble.  You'll be glad you did.  Pictures are nice, but a diagram works good too.  Make notes.

LarryInMichigan

Netdewt,

Take some pictures of the wires on the dial and hook switch and then remove them from the shell.  I always spray the shell, handset, and other exterior parts of phones with foaming tile cleaner.  On most phones, the foaming cleaner quickly changes color from white to dark brown as it dissolves the dirt, nicotine, and other filth on the phone.  After the foam has had a couple of minutes to simmer, I brush the grooves and crevices with an old tooth brush.  On really dirty phones, two or three iterations may be needed.  I usually soak the cords in a bowl with some sort of cleaning solution.

Once you have the shell clean, you may be amazed at how good it will look with a bit of polishing.

Larry

Netdewt

I spent some time with it and took it apart slowly. Also took pictures beforehand. I'll wash the cover and glue the crack tonight. How to you guys wash the electronic parts? Just a wipe down? Will I need to calibrate anything if I take the fingerwheel off of the dial?

bellsystemproperty

Quote from: Netdewt on March 21, 2010, 08:57:16 PM

It desperately needs a bath because it smells strongly of smoke. Probably 50 year old smoke? I'm a little nervous to take it apart though because of how the cover is wired to the base. I'm sure you guys will help me put it back together if I screw up though.

My 302 on the inside smells like dog poop. I'm not kidding, that's what it actually smells like, and it's pretty strong too. Luckily I can't smell it at all when it has the cover on, so it's not much of an issue.

Netdewt

Quote from: bellsystemproperty on March 22, 2010, 06:33:51 PM
Quote from: Netdewt on March 21, 2010, 08:57:16 PM

My 302 on the inside smells like dog poop. I'm not kidding, that's what it actually smells like, and it's pretty strong too. Luckily I can't smell it at all when it has the cover on, so it's not much of an issue.

LOL. For real.

Mine smells pretty bad. I'm hoping a good wipedown will help.