News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dietz Highway Torch

Started by AL_as_needed, September 02, 2017, 09:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL_as_needed

I was not really looking for one of these, nor looking for a new addition to the collection in general, but when a deal falls into your lap....

These were used as safety markers like the No 40 Traffic Guard.  These however are far simpler and made to take a real beating. Unlike the No 40, there is no lens/globe, no real adjustment, no bells or whistles of any kind. This is more or less a heavy (very heavy) steel ball with a burner at the top and a simple loop on one side to make carrying a bit easier. They have also gone by "smudge pots" and (at least in my area) "cannon balls" for their shape and simplicity.

This particular one is a No 87 (hard to tell with rust) as marked on the burner cap. As of yet it is soaking in wd40 to get the burner out, a real rust ball. Originally  it was sporting the dark machine grey paint, but there are hints of clean metal hidden in the rough.

Lastly...CRPF bad packing awards? Or secretly genius?
TWinbrook7

TelePlay

I love it. Takes me back to the 50s when the city would place these on the ground in front of those wooden 3 piece barricades denoting a street construction (hole in the road) site behind it. Can still picture the orange flame and heavy soot being given off. Back then, no one tampered (stole) with them.

Looks like a week or so in molasses after you get the burner out (I like using a 50/50 mixture of automatic transmission fluid followed immediately by Blaster penetrating oil to keep the acetone from evaporating - worked in about a half hour on a burner stuck in Doug's side lamp). I've only seen these in black but that could have been soot and dirt - I doubt they were ever cleaned. Lot of options on how to finish the surface once clean.

You going to light it up?

AL_as_needed

Very very dirty this one was, but in the long soaking process towards a clean piece.

And yes, it will be lit up at some point. Maybe need to get a wooden saw-horse barrier too to help set the mood.  ::)
TWinbrook7

Dan/Panther

Back in the late 50's and early 60's here in So California, Orange County, you could see these by the hundreds around orange groves to cut the frost down.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AL_as_needed

Despite the original appearance, my concerns quickly faded when most of the rust was only on the surface. After a two day soak in a vinegar solution, most of the rust was broken up and washed off. The inside took a bit more work. After the soaking, a handful of half-inch wood screws and generous amounts of WD40 (shaken, not stirred) broke the remaining crud out. A final washing and warm oven drying completed the rather quick clean up.

This morning it got two coats of Teleplay's secret rust preventive recipe to cure in the sun. And yes, it was lighted and placed near a fitting site for a while to enjoy its return to an active life.

TWinbrook7

Dan/Panther

Yes like John said, NO ONE MESSED WITH THEM.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Pourme

I'm old enough to remember when those were in wide usage. I'm surprised they aren't more common offered for sale in flea markets, etc. Until I saw this post I had all but forgotten about them. If I rode by and saw one in use I'd be sure to give it a double take! Good job, Al!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

The demise of these began in 1955 when "The Federal Government bans the use of kerosene lanterns on the nations highways, local agencies, however, continue use as late as 1972."

This one turned out quite well, probably the cleanest one I've ever seen. I remember when they put natural gas pipelines into my entire small home town of 1,700 people back about 1960. The company that came in to do that work was already using the 6 volt battery flashers on their barricades. Was working summers at a county highway department for 4 years and remember they also used the battery powered flashers but there was one large, old shed used for storage that strongly smelled from kerosene and that is where they kept the lanterns and flares before they trashed them.

The restoration is be appreciated with a side by side image. Very nice job. Great to see it lit once again.

What's next on your list?

AL_as_needed

Thank You guys! I am very happy with how it came out and hope to find it some real work sometime soon. Maybe pair it up with the #40 traffic guard next time.

Quote from: Pourme on September 04, 2017, 01:36:18 PM
I'm old enough to remember when those were in wide usage. I'm surprised they aren't more common offered for sale in flea markets, etc. Until I saw this post I had all but forgotten about them. If I rode by and saw one in use I'd be sure to give it a double take! Good job, Al!

I think because they aren't as practical as lanterns or lamps, there was not as much of a reason to keep them around or collect them. They are available online through ebay and the like, but prices are fairly low compared to say a dietz little wizard (also used by DPWs as barricade lights).

Outside of their original intended job, these guys are now basically just big, heavy, ground dwelling, tiki torches.  The only real solid sources of info generally come from collectors who also collect other construction items (flashers, cones, etc).  There are also small versions of these that were part of a three or four piece flare kit used in trucks. While also kind of forgotten, complete kits are still available.   
TWinbrook7

Babybearjs

wonder how many fires they started.....knock one of these over in dry grass......and whoosh! another wild fire!
John

twocvbloke

Reminds me of a cartoon bomb... ;D

Russ Kirk

I found one today in an antique store. They wanted $30, seemed like a good price. I passed.....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Pourme

I didn't take a picture but I saw a chrome one for $50....I passed as well.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

Quote from: Russ Kirk on September 07, 2017, 12:35:26 AM
I found one today in an antique store. They wanted $30, seemed like a good price. I passed.....

Depending on condition, $30 is just about right as the current market price right now. With shipping on eBay, the ones sold total out at $30-35. I don't think I've ever seen one in an antique mall, ever. They are more scarce than lanterns due to their limited use after restoration. As was said, a few of these on a patio with citronella in the oil would keep the skeeters away, a short TiKi torch.

I don't know anyone would chrome one of these but unless it had some historical meaning (retirement gift, etc), it just would not look right. Don't think I've ever seen a chromed lantern. Anyway, if anyone wants an instant collection of these, there are a lot of 4 on eBay right now for $119 with free shipping, or $30 each.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-DIETZ-Highway-Road-Torch-Lantern-Flare-Smudge-Pot-Set-4-Steel-Toledo-type-/162641685245

AL_as_needed

Instead of chrome, could it have just been very clean tin?
TWinbrook7