News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Weird Bell Logo on 2500?

Started by dc4code, November 15, 2018, 10:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dc4code

Hey I was just on eBay and I could not resist not buying saving this 2500 for $19

But what is this weird Bell Logo in the bottom corner?
I have never seen this before! Have I just missed it perhaps?

LarryInMichigan

I think that it was used on all the AT&T branded phones after the divestiture in 1984.

Larry

dc4code

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 15, 2018, 10:50:22 AM
I think that it was used on all the AT&T branded phones after the divestiture in 1984.

Larry

Thanks, That makes more sense!

RB

Hey Dylan.
That one should clean up nicely!
I don't have a 2500 yet...I think.
Been tryin to go old.
Got my first Starlite this week.
It has been too cold here, so have not tried it yet.
Hows it goin on your exchange project?

Key2871

It's a "69" Bell symbol, used in pre divestiture phones. I see those a lot every spring/ summer. Clean it up and it'll be a nice set.
KEN

Stormcrash

This would have to be pre divestiture, as AT&T lost the rights to use the Bell name and logo other than Bell Labs in the breakup. I have a couple 84 post breakup 2500's that have the same color and style faceplate, but no Bell.  I think the bell was on the tail end of pre breakup production on these newer style faceplates.  Looking close at the logo it just looks dirty but not otherwise distorted.

The newer style faceplates, which kept being used minus logo after breakup, have the top clip integrated as a plastic tab on the faceplate, where the older style faceplates used a little metal retainer tab on the housing to keep the plate in place.  On eBay listings for special sets the line knob or a light seems to be where that logo is, so I could be a cover/fill in on the faceplate mold to reduce the number of molds they needed.  I think most listings I've seen with the bell faceplate were business or CS (consumer sales) sets.