and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Swedish/Norwegian backwards dial?

Started by AT2796, November 18, 2018, 12:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AT2796

Good morning all!
I don't know how to take a screen shot so here is the Ebay link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Swedish-Norwegian-Rotary-Telephone-Telegrafverket-Antique-Metal-Bakelite/372499391169

?hash=item56bab1a2c1:g:BIMAAOSwl5Jb173Q

Why are the dials "backwards" on these phones? This one I linked to doesn't even have a "9".
My Boss has one that looks the same, 0-9 with the 9 being in the usual 1 position. Dialing 9 only gives you 1 pulse.
Can anybody explain this?

ETA;
here's another one with a "9"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BLACK-TELEGRAFVERKET-ROTARY-DIAL-TELEPHONE-FROM-NORWAY/142994316448

?hash=item214b201ca0
Andy

poplar1

Quote from: AT2796 on November 18, 2018, 12:37:13 PM
Good morning all!
I don't know how to take a screen shot so here is the Ebay link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Swedish-Norwegian-Rotary-Telephone-Telegrafverket-Antique-Metal-Bakelite/372499391169?hash=item56bab1a2c1:g:BIMAAOSwl5Jb173Q

Why are the dials "backwards" on these phones? This one I linked to doesn't even have a "9".

Finger wheel is stuck. Note the hole to the right of the finger stop. If it returns to home position, that hole will be over the 9 (currently covered up).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Pourme

~

Here is a picture for posterity....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jim Stettler

The dial works the same as a regular dial. The #'s are just reversed on the faceplate.  They are commonly called Oslo dials by collectors. The reason is that Phoneco used to sell telephones from Oslo, Norway with the backwards dial. Below is the model they sold.
Phoneco would offer it with a "regular" sticker over the numbers.
The one I posted can be used as a desk phone or wall set.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AT2796

Understood on the missing 9!

So overall it was a manufacturing snafu and they produced stickers to correct it?
Andy

HarrySmith

Not a snafu, they were designed that way. There was a discussion some time ago about them, IIRC it had to do with the way the exchange was set up? Some here may have more knowledge or better memory than I.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: AT2796 on November 18, 2018, 02:39:44 PM
Understood on the missing 9!

So overall it was a manufacturing snafu and they produced stickers to correct it?

No.
The phone dial was made like that. In Oslo a North American phone would have a backwards dial.
Phoneco is a company that sells old  phones. They sold a lot of the Oslo phones. They had a  dial sticker was to make it "right" for North American number schemes.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 18, 2018, 02:45:44 PM
Not a snafu, they were designed that way. There was a discussion some time ago about them, IIRC it had to do with the way the exchange was set up? Some here may have more knowledge or better memory than I.
This may be the thread you were thinking of
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19290.msg197931#msg197931
You live, You learn,

dsk

That reverse numbering was kept in Oslo City (Norway) and New Zealand, the first exchanges the bought had this solution, we are not sure why this was sold that way, but it is several theories: 1 A different system would not interfere with some patents. 2 Those very first exchanges with a register (instead of step by step) was more logical with that numbering. 3 An Idea to protect a marked.

Any way, it is the enameled number-ring who makes the difference on the phone.
You may easily print out an overlay and put it on.

dsk

dsk

The last telephone you linked to has a fair price, it is rare! That head on the clapper are not common, and the possibility with hold and call another line is also unique, never seen one like that here.

dsk

FABphones

Quote from: dsk on November 18, 2018, 03:25:00 PM
The last telephone you linked to has a fair price, it is rare! That head on the clapper are not common, and the possibility with hold and call another line is also unique, never seen one like that here.

dsk

Photo added (below) of phone mentioned above.

Are the handsets original to these phones?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

AT2796

Now I am understanding!
First of all, thanks for clearing me up,
Secondly, I am not interested in buying/bidding either of them, so if it's a good deal nobody is stepping on my toes (if that was even a concern...)

Still, very cool!

Thanks again,
Andy
Andy

dsk

Quote from: FABphones on November 18, 2018, 03:54:16 PM
Photo added (below) of phone mentioned above.

Are the handsets original to these phones?

Yes it is the original handset, pretty big transmitter capsule, and flat steel membrane receiver.

dsk

LarryInMichigan

The Swedish dials were also different, but they were numbered '0' - '9'.

Larry

dsk

Swedish dial: