News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Operators Chair

Started by ....., May 18, 2018, 06:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I had picked up this operators chair some time ago. I finely got around to doing something with it. All I did was take it apart, wash the frame and sent the seat out to be repaired. Put it all back together. I was told that it would have been the lead operators seat as it has the long legs and she would sit higher behind the other operators.

poplar1

I always thought the lead operator was walking around rather than sitting??? In any case, I think there are chairs of different heights depending on the type board.

Somemone once asked Lincoln how long a man's legs should be: He answered, "long enough to reach the ground."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Quote from: poplar1 on May 18, 2018, 06:57:30 AM
I always thought the lead operator was walking around rather than sitting??? In any case, I think there are chairs of different heights depending on the type board.

Somemone once asked Lincoln how long a man's legs should be: He answered, "long enough to reach the ground."

You could be right so I changed it and took out the lead, I only based it on what I was told by the retired Bell employee I got it from.
But didn't the lead operator need some where to sit? LOL

HarrySmith

Quote from: Duffy on May 18, 2018, 07:26:44 AM
You could be right so I changed it and took out the lead, I only based it on what I was told by the retired Bell employee I got it from.
But didn't the lead operator need some where to sit? LOL

In the large exchanges she was on roller skates!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

My mother in law was an operator. She said the supervisor was always walking around everyone in the row. She never saw one sitting when on duty.
So it looks like one for a tall board.
KEN

HarrySmith

Quick search I found both. Sitting supervisor & skating.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Found this print with the operators using the higher chair.
Now does anyone know what the bucket was used for on the back of my chair?

Harry you found one of the lead sitting on a higher chair!

tubaman

Quote from: Duffy on May 18, 2018, 09:05:16 AM
Now does anyone know what the bucket was used for on the back of my chair?

It looks the right sort of size to put a phone directory in, but I'm guessing.
:)

HarrySmith

Yes, I actually found a few different pictures of operators on higher chairs. It looks like your guy may have been correct. I noticed that tray too. I first thought it was a footrest and the chair was turned backwards but on closer inspection I would agree maybe a directory or a manual, some kind of larger book type thing. Just occured to me, possibly a purse holder?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tubaman

Quote from: HarrySmith on May 18, 2018, 09:42:25 AM
... possibly a purse holder?

You mean a handbag right - a purse goes inside a handbag.
;)

Greg G.

Cool chair and interesting pictures!  It would drive me nuts having someone behind me looking over my shoulder all the time!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Pourme

I don't know what the bracket on the chair is but, today the chair would have a cup holder!  ;)
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Key2871

I talked with my mother in law again, she told me in the office she worked, the super was always walking and listening to each operator. She also said at first it was strange to have someone standing behind her, but once you're busy you don't even think about it anymore.
KEN

kleenax

Quote from: Pourme on May 18, 2018, 10:24:58 AM
I don't know what the bracket on the chair is but, today the chair would have a cup holder!  ;)
The bracket is an "official" KS-numbered Western Electric part: it's a Purse-Holder!  ;-)

I have 4 of the earlier, all wooden chairs like this that I also need to get busy and refurb/re-cane.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

HarrySmith

Quote from: tubaman on May 18, 2018, 09:55:21 AM
You mean a handbag right - a purse goes inside a handbag.
;)

A wallet goes inside a purse or handbag, along with everything else!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"