News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lampitis strikes - Super Aladdin (Model 14?) hanging lamp...

Started by twocvbloke, February 06, 2017, 12:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL_as_needed

Well oil lamps, both wick and mantle are fairly simple devices that use the basic principles of heat and air movement. Not much there to really go wrong 

We have 80 year old phones that, by comparison, are way more technologically intricate and they have also made it this far (in the right hands). Wonder just how long things like lanterns will be glowing about for?   ;D

TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

So long as there is fuel, lanterns will always be glowing, even if some of them will lack mantles eventually...  ;D

twocvbloke

Managed to bag an NOS thorium mantle for a spare, looks to be in decent shape, so should be a good spare... :)

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Yep, wasn't really looking for mantles, I just spotted it looking at Aladdin stuff in general, and there was one left, so, had to have it!!  ;D

AL_as_needed

Love the box it came, neat color and fun prints. The older "simpler" packaging seems to more interesting than today's plastic bags and clam-shells.
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Yeah, the boxes for the older mantles are nicer than modern versions, and modern packaging in general, I've saved most of the boxes I've got with the mantles simply because they're too nice to dispose of... :)

19and41

They may have character, but they can give the contents a poor ride.  I've gotten a couple of crashed mantles in 1970's era boxes.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Yeah, the boxes aren't a perfect storage medium, but that can also be down to how they're handled by former owners, older Aladdin mantles I think were packed in card tubes, which would have been a bit sturdier... :)

twocvbloke

I hung the Aladdin back up at the weekend, the boiler's been acting up a lot (mostly just conking out and not heating anything), so the house has been getting cold all too often, so, Super Aladdin to the rescue...  ;D

EDIT:
Added a pic, because they're nice to look at, and also to show I painted the inside of the metal light shade on the electrickery light pendant earlier this year so now it actually reflects light out instead of soaking it up...  ;D

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

It certainly does, just relit it now as the boiler's become a swimming pool it seems, so no heat from that, so once again, Aladdin to the rescue...  ;D