"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My latest flea market acquisitions

Started by carl, October 12, 2009, 07:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Dennis,

Have you ever been to the Royal Oak flea market?  It is quite small, but there are frequently old phones there, and its alot closer than the UP.  I bought my 20AL candlestick and subset, in very good condition, there last summer for $100.  The last time that I was there, around labor day, I saw that one of the side booths had a number of WE/SC/ITT 70s-80s phones hidden in the corners.  Just leave a few phones for me.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Larry, I have read about that place but never went there.  I thought I read somewhere recently that it was closing.  It is very close to me, maybe a half hour drive.  I guess I should investigate where it is exactly and give it a shot.  Thanks.

LarryInMichigan

Dennis,

I don't think that it is closing.  It is open every Sunday, and it is located at the Royal Oak Farmer's Market.  That is right across the street from the Royal Oak library and police station, on 11 Mile.  http://www.ci.royal-oak.mi.us/portal/community-links/farmers-market

Larry

bwanna

dennis, the RO flea market is nice, but IMO a little pricey.  don't forget, i am a cheapo ;D  if you do go make a swing thru berkley & go to oddfellows antique mall.   did you go to saginaw antique mall, on tittabawasee? there is a phone guy with a booth there.

d/p  that sounds like a great idea. you would have alot of fun. :D of course we would want day to day postings, including pics ;)

ps. ROFM was open this past sunday.
donna

Dennis Markham

Donna, I did go to the Saginaw Antique Mall and did see the booth there with all of the phones.  A bit high priced for what I had in mind.  There were three of those non-dial Masterphones that Bill has been working on.  None of them had the logo in the front Bill.  He wanted $90 each.  The owner of the booth is Barry Huckeby of the ATCA.  He had some nice phones there for those that may just be looking for a vintage phone for their home.

bwanna

o i agree on the prices there, dennis. but it is fun to window shop. kind of like going to nordstroms, pretty to look at, but no way am i paying those prices :o
donna

Dennis Markham

I was hoping to walk in and find an Oxford Gray 554 for $25 (or less).  :)

bwanna

i am going to big auction this week end. i just know there will be a box lot of soft plastic phones. i will be the winning bidder at $15 :o ::)   don't worry, i will share with everyone.  now now, no fighting or trying to butter me up. choice out in order of seniority. d/p, does that make you first in line ??? ::)
donna

LarryInMichigan

I stop at Oddfellows Antiques occasionally.  Last year, I got a beautiful 1941 Seth Thomas electric mantel clock there.  It is a really fun place to visit, sort of like a historical museum without an admission fee, and the women who run the place are really friendly, but there are not usually many phones there.  There is one booth in the front on the upper level (I think) which frequently has a phone or two, but the phone prices are no bargains.  It is on 12 Mile, just a few blocks west of Coolidge, and I think that its open every day.  I don't have the time or patience to go anywhere more than a few miles away.  

If you ever head to Chicago, there is a big antiques mall in Michigan City, IN, just off of I-94.  I saw a number of really old phones there, but again, no bargains.

Larry

Dennis Markham

bwanna

the big auction ???   uh-huh....no way, nothin doin, not gonna tell you. ;D :D ;)

we don't want to drive the price up unnecessarily.  don't worry, you can have the oxford gray554 :) or maybe the light beige :o
donna

Dennis Markham

Oh I wouldn't go, I was just wondering where it was going to be held.   ;) ;D

bwanna

my momma didn't raise no fools.   :P  anyway  it is a long long way away& you just got back from a long trip. ;D
donna

Dan/Panther

Bwanna;
Of course I'm first on the list, and besides, I'm not trying to worm in on your action, like some people we know.... ::) ::)
I would be humbled, and honored, to receive any offering from you no matter how small.... 8)
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

like i said before, d/p, i admire your humble attitude. ;)

& can you believe that guy dennis.... trying to trick me into telling hime the auction is in traverse city.......ooops :o
donna