"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trick or Treat?

Started by Craig T, October 31, 2009, 10:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: Craig T on October 31, 2009, 11:00:44 PM
I have been lurking for months on the forums, great stuff. I have 30-40 phones in my collection. I have one older than this, no '49 I am afraid. I was clenching my teeth hoping this one was, no complaints of course. No cracks, just dusty really. The handset is sunbaked on the top, but should sand out.

I was down on all fours disconnecting this from the wall. I have scissors, NO NO, I have a screwdriver handy thank you  :P. I thought there was a crack in the center, but it is just a piece of an old phone # sticker on top, WHEW! The handset is a G1, but the top earpiece (the bottom would not unscrew) says 1960 inside. Just under the edge of the front the yellow date can be seen on the base 9 10 54.

So needs a good cleaning and some work on the top of the handset, just about perfect though, even on the bottom. One of the best original condition phones I have.

Briny I get a kick out of you, so feel free to tell me you hate me right off the get go.  I left the sticker on it just for you  ;)   ;D

Me?  Well, if it makes you feel honored to be hated by me, fine - DORK!  I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!!! >:( >:(

Not really.  Nice find, I vote on the "treat" side.  Even better than my $1.99 GW find!  That's the way ALL clueless people should price things, not the other way around, like that $158.00 70s repro POS I posted in another thread.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan

Congrats on your find.
The old black ones are my favorites, especially with the metal fingerdial.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Craig, that phone for a buck is excellent.  Think about what one can buy for a dollar these days.....not much.

I think Dan/Panther was referring to Craig T Nelson, the actor that played Coach on the TV sit-com of the same name a few years back.

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Exactly, we've arrived  main stream now, Celebrities are posting.
Even with all his Money, he looks for the bargains, and a great find at that.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Craig T

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 01, 2009, 12:22:00 PM
Craig, that phone for a buck is excellent.  Think about what one can buy for a dollar these days.....not much.

I think Dan/Panther was referring to Craig T Nelson, the actor that played Coach on the TV sit-com of the same name a few years back.

I know, I was teasing him asking if he wanted me to autograph his phone.  :) This forum is great, no shortage of sarcasm here either, I like :D Thanks for the fix Briny, I needed that.  ;D. I will show off some others soon. Thanks everybody for welcoming me also, very kind of you all. I have pictures of each of them individually, but I was thinking of taking a family photo of them instead.

GET EM FAVRE!

Tonyrotary

Welcome to the forum Craig. Also great phone for a great price!

Dan/Panther

I knew it, I knew it, wait till I tell my kids I'm exchanging emails with Craig T. Nelson, The only problem is they'll say; "WHO" ?
D/P :o

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

wasn't gomer pyle always saying  "i knew it, i knew it, i just knew it" when he was right about something ::)
donna

Dennis Markham

Donna, Gomer who??  That must have been before my time.

Craig, you never lived in southern California did you?  Seriously.

bellsystemproperty

That is a nice phone. I like the 500s with the G1 handsets. They have that right amount of weight that makes them feel important, unlike the POS modern phones.

bwanna

haha dennis, i happen to know that you are OLDER than i am :P
donna

Craig T

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 01, 2009, 09:21:35 PM
Donna, Gomer who??  That must have been before my time.

Craig, you never lived in southern California did you?  Seriously.

You know I did my time in Oakland.  Michigan that is.  :)

Hey I was thinking about making a lamp out of this. Briny do you need a new lamp?

Dennis Markham

Donna, I thought I'd give that a run up the flag pole and see if it flew.

Craig, I'm going to send you a personal message.

Craig T

Quote from: Brinybay on November 01, 2009, 03:58:25 AM
Quote from: Craig T on October 31, 2009, 11:00:44 PM
I have been lurking for months on the forums, great stuff. I have 30-40 phones in my collection. I have one older than this, no '49 I am afraid. I was clenching my teeth hoping this one was, no complaints of course. No cracks, just dusty really. The handset is sunbaked on the top, but should sand out.

I was down on all fours disconnecting this from the wall. I have scissors, NO NO, I have a screwdriver handy thank you  :P. I thought there was a crack in the center, but it is just a piece of an old phone # sticker on top, WHEW! The handset is a G1, but the top earpiece (the bottom would not unscrew) says 1960 inside. Just under the edge of the front the yellow date can be seen on the base 9 10 54.

So needs a good cleaning and some work on the top of the handset, just about perfect though, even on the bottom. One of the best original condition phones I have.

Briny I get a kick out of you, so feel free to tell me you hate me right off the get go.  I left the sticker on it just for you  ;)   ;D

Me?  Well, if it makes you feel honored to be hated by me, fine - DORK!  I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!!! >:( >:(

Not really.  Nice find, I vote on the "treat" side.  Even better than my $1.99 GW find!  That's the way ALL clueless people should price things, not the other way around, like that $158.00 70s repro POS I posted in another thread.

Some of the prices get crazy here too. For every $1.00 phone I have found, there are three in the antique shops that are from 1983 and they want $45.00 for it and what a deal the scuffs come with it.  :P

foots

$1.00 - wow! I wish Hobiesport were around, he's a big fan of black phones.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"