News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Monophone 2 Line

Started by easytiger, July 24, 2010, 08:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytiger

'Saw this AE Monophone 2 Line in an antique store today.  It was listed for $69.00.  I wasn't interested, but I pass through the location regularly if anyone else is and would like me to snag and ship it – or the shop may be willing to ship as well.  It's not without issues – dial won't return, transmitter cover is broken, transmitter element is missing, handset cord is cracked at the receiver, and the housing has a crack and chip near the dial bottom.  It does appear to have the original fat line fabric cord and mounting block (no cover) still attached.  I snapped a few additional closer photos of the above if interested.  I didn't get a look inside – I was in a hurry and a crowd was starting to gather with the "photo shoot" going on.

I found these mentioned in a couple of previous posts on this forum, but have never actually seen one until today.  Maybe they're not all that uncommon.  'Thought I'd throw this out there in case something like this was on anybody's list.

There's also one in apparently better condition currently on eBay Buy It Now listed for $249.99. 
http://tinyurl.com/236qysg

Easy, Tiger..."it's life...you don't figure it out.  You just climb up on the beast and RIDE."  --Vivi, "Divine Secrets"

AE_Collector

An AE 47 set. It can actually do 3 lines with the third line being accessed on the little button up by the cradle.

They aren't likely going to get $249 for the one on ebay. They sell on ebay fairly often in the $40 to $60 range. A consistently underpriced set in my opinion as the much more comon AE 40 always gets that much or more.

Terry

easytiger

Thanks, Terry.  I wondered about that button by the cradle.

If they typically end in the $40 to $60 range in auction, the one I saw for $69.00 definitely wouldn't be worth it given it's condition.
Easy, Tiger..."it's life...you don't figure it out.  You just climb up on the beast and RIDE."  --Vivi, "Divine Secrets"

AE_Collector

Quote from: easytiger on July 25, 2010, 11:25:40 AM
Thanks, Terry.  I wondered about that button by the cradle.

If they typically end in the $40 to $60 range in auction, the one I saw for $69.00 definitely wouldn't be worth it given it's condition.

Yes broken bakelite drastically reduces the value of any bakelite phone. If it WEREN'T broken AND they would deal a little bit, given that it has the cloth cords (that very nicely "Y" into two seperate groups of wires for connection to two side by side set blocks at the wall), $60ish with no shipping would be worth it. Too many "if's" on this one though....

The two line key buttons on the front have "Answer" and "Hold" buttons on the AECo 47. The third little button up by the cradle can answer (but not hold) a third line or of course you can have line 1 & 2 on hold and use L3 to place a call.

The little button is momentary contact if pressed down (a buzzer system maybe to call the secretary into the office?) and it makes permanent contacts if lifted up.

Lifting the button up either accesses "line 3" or it can be used for "Exclusion". This involves wiring a line through one of the main line keys and then through the "exclusion" button and then on to other phones in the office. The 47 user can then operate his exclusion button to disconnect that particular line from the other phones which prevents others in the office from listening in on the call.

*****end of AECo 47 "features and services" session*****

Terry