"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO 232 - dial questions

Started by Fennec, September 04, 2016, 08:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fennec

Hello:

I am trying to ID the dial I have on my 232 GPO phone. Google search points to some form of #10, possibly a less common "black" version - it has a blackened brass dial plate, blackened brass finger stop and retaining ring for the label, and terminal screws seem to be positioned closer to a #10 pattern...

If it is indeed a #10 - how would I proceed in cleaning it? What would I use to do it, so that painted (?) numbers on a plate don't come off? And in the event that I DO actually screw up the number plate (or want to change it to alphanumeric, ex.) - how would I change it without complete disassembly of the dial?

Thank you,

Dmitri

LarryInMichigan

That is not a GPO #10 dial.  It looks like a British version of an Automatic Electric dial.  I don't believe that I have ever seen one like that. 

The dial center probably comes off like an American AE dial.  There are instructions somewhere around here on how to do that.  The number plate should be porcelain over metal and pretty easy to clean.  It should be held down by two spring fingers which will be visible once the finger wheel is removed.

Larry

Fennec

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 04, 2016, 09:49:33 PM
That is not a GPO #10 dial.  It looks like a British version of an Automatic Electric dial.  I don't believe that I have ever seen one like that. 

After some more digging - Larry, you are absolutely correct. Indeed this is not a #10, but rather an early version of #24C dial, made by AT&E (Automatic Telephone and Electric) at Liverpool Edge Lane plant. I think that it is original to the phone, as the handset bears an ATM mark, pointing to the same Automatic Telephone Manufacturing Company (earlier name?).

Jack Ryan

It is a Type 24C dial. The contact configuration is the same as a Dial No 10. Some Type 24 dials also use that configuration.

Basically it is a Type 24 dial with a different mount.

Jack