News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Equador Earthquake

Started by DavePEI, April 17, 2016, 09:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

News from Don Woodbury this evening. he and his wife, Donna are ok, but not all were so fortunate!, "A magnitude 7.8 earthquake here in Bahia, Ecuador". Death totals so far are over 240, and still coming in, and many people are still trapped. Don winters in Equador at his farm in Bahia. Most of you know Don - he is the owner of OldPhoneWorks. The quake happened yesterday evening. Cpmmnications are severely disrupted - thankfully, he got the message out today that they were ok. This was mentioned in the first message from him following the quake. Until I got that message, I hadn't even heard of the quake. I have known Don since I was a child, and would have been extremely worried for him if I had not gotten his message this afternoon.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/17/world/gallery/ecuador-earthquake/index.html
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, very scary! My prayers go out to those in Ecuador.

I also haven't heard of it. I think the quake in Japan is catching more of the media's attention, even though the death toll (from what I understand) was far less.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

DavePEI

I think the reason that the Japan quake is attracting more attention, is that there is a higher population in the area of the Japanese quake, but they fail to note that Japan is used to frequent quakes, and the buildings are built to withstand them. The Equador quake was higher on the Richter scale, and the country is less prepared for major quakes, and the buildings aren't as well built as those in Japan - the reason the death toll will be higher in Equador, despite the lower population. My prayers go out to all in both effected areas. 
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

I hope you will forgive me for posting this here. Don and Donna Woodbury of Oldphoneworks are safe. Don and Donna were at their farm outside Bahia when the earthquake struck, and have been sheltering, feeding, and clothing people from surrounding areas since on the farm. Today's report from Don in Equador:
"We spent the morning at the Bahia aid distribution centre packing emergency rations for affected. The town has been badly impacted by the earthquake, and people are living on the street. The "lucky" ones may have a tarpaulin for shelter. Others have absolutely nothing left. People are desperate for food and clean water. While some stores remain open, and are stocked, the economy has been completely disrupted, and much of the population that lives day to day at the best of times, now has no income with which to purchase necessities. Emergency aid is critical. Please help if you can." Don notes that baby formula is a big need.
Communications are still spotty, but Don is getting messages and updates out as he can. Yesterday, the death toll was listed by ABC as 587, with many still unaccounted for.
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

That is great news! Glad to hear Don & his wife escaped this disaster unharmed. I  have been watching the news for the past few days. My prayers and thought go out to all those affected.

Again, if this is not appropriate, moderator please remove right away! Thanks.
If the group is willing to put together a care package, I would gladly donate some formula.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"