"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Took Another Gamble: Color 5302?

Started by Kenton K, October 21, 2014, 02:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Kenton K on October 24, 2014, 01:54:06 AM
Here are some photos. I think the phone gods have cursed me that I can only buy painted phones!   :-\ :-\ :-\

You're not the only one...
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Kenton K

Hi yall,
I started this topic on another thread but I feel like it should be in a new topic.

( EDIT: the following posts were merged into the above topic, which was split out of another topic discussing a 302, at this point to keep this 5302 topic separate and complete )

So, I recently bought a really sad white 5302. WE decided to paint it black.  :'( :'( :'( Luckily, the price reflected the condition of the phone, and I purchased it for $40.

All the dates are from 1959/1960, excluding the handset cord. The soft plastic shell is from 2-2-59. I plan on stripping the paint and adding a white G3 handset. I think the hardest thing to find would be a white 5302 bezel. I doubt I will ever find one. So I guess it'll be two tone for now. If I do find a white bezel, I can install a white 6D dial and a payphone number plate. I guess I'll post an wanted add and see what happens.

Before I start, does anybody have any recommendations on how to remove the paint besides sanding? Whatever method I use, I know it's going to be a BIG project!

-KK

WEBellSystemChristian

If it's epoxy based, I guess you could try Super Clean or Easy Off oven cleaner, but just don't expect results. I'm afraid you're pretty much stuck with sanding.

Very nice find, by the way! Makes me very jealous!

I know OPW sellers 233G dial bezel overlays, you could see if someone sells them in white to install on this one for the time being.
Christian Petterson

Sargeguy

Probably pink.  Hope all the parts match!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

Sargeguy

Paint it pink!  I have a plain white dial plate and I may have one with black dots only if you need it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

JimH

I have a number ring sticker I bought on etsy a couple of years ago.  You could paint the number ring white, and stick this clear sticker over it so that it would have black numbers/letters.  You'd have to cut the center part out with the dots and get a white number plate with black dots, or OPW has an overlay for $2.95.  They're still available on etsy, two for $2.25 under "Telephone sticker".

Jim
Jim H.

Kenton K

What a great idea! I was going to cut a hole on a white parts 500 bezel, but this is much easier!

Steve

Nice score!

I thought 5302's were like model T Fords, black only?

If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

WEBellSystemChristian

For reference, here is a sticky topic all about the color 5302s members have found over the years. It looks like they came in all colors you would find on a 500 at the time.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1155.0

I still think there has to be another way of removing polane from tenite easily. For whatever new way one of us finds, there is always some huge drawback.

LAs Totally Awesome works well and chips the paint away with a little effort, but the drawbacks are that it takes days for it to work, and it leaves behind a really sticky white residue that takes a lot of effort to remove.

Super Clean really melts polane off Thermoplastic and ABS, but weakens and deforms Tenite after about a half hour of soaking.

Easy Off oven cleaner does to job with spray paint on Tenite, but doesn't work very well with Polane.

Sanding is the most logical choice, but it takes time, effort, and experience to do right.
Christian Petterson

Kenton K

I will also add that super clean will stain light color tenite purple.

KK