News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Terry's New Avatar - Garnet Red AE 880 Speakerphone

Started by Doug Rose, November 28, 2012, 11:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Terry...I noticed your new avatar, it states its an AE880 never available in Garnet Red. Sure looks red to me. Is this a home brew or a rarity. I always thought these were one of the coolest speaker phones. The also worked very well. I has a NOS green one that I finally had to set free when I ran out of room and started limiting my eras I collected.

What is the story on this beauty? How about some pictures?...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

I wish it were something an AECo employee had custom mede for himself while running a batch of Garnet Red AE 80's or 90's. But it isn't.

These were well painted for "The OTHER well known Rose" in the phone business and he sold them. He says there are around 10 of them out there. This one just got recycled on ebaY a week or so ago and it went for $103.50 where I had bid $101. They just look so darned good in dark red that I really am surprised that AE never made one in their Garnet Red color.

Production was limited to Gardenia White, Sand Beige, Ebony Black, Turquoise, Jade Green and Dawn Gray. Even the lack of Ivory surprises me though most of the Gardenia White ones have pitched in and turned Ivory.

I'll add some better pictures later....

Terry

AE_Collector

Here are some more pictures of the painted garnet red AE 880 Speakerphone. The last picture is a different one, A Touch Call 880 in Garnet Red.

Terry

Doug Rose

That is one fantastic paint job. Do you know who Richard uses to paint. I would never guess from these pictures that it is paint...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

I think Richard indicated that he used "Natural State Finishing" for the painting but I will check with him again. Better yet, I will get him to check this thread for accuracy and maybe he will stick around!

You can see some chipping on the edge of the speaker housing but this is a "used" one. Was probably perfect initially. Red sure looks nice on these 880's!

Terry

poplar1

Unfortunately, Phyllis has closed down Natural State Finishing. Richard is planning to try a place in Minnesota. Perhaps it is an auto body shop.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

I hadn't heard that they closed down. That is too bad. I have several badly discolored AE880's (and other models as well) that I would love to get painted but Richard indicated that you needed a very large batch of a single color to make it do-able.

Terry