News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wooden pony phone what is it?

Started by Sargeguy, April 11, 2018, 07:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Just purchased this wooden top box/pony phone with an Ericsson? transmitter, chain drive magneto and short ringer.  I bought if thinking it for the receiver, which I mistook for a WE 122 in the photo.   This one has square terminals.  Looks similar to a lot of small manufacturer phones, can anyone narrow it down?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Nice find on the Receiver - looks like a Holtzer Cabot.  not sure about the box - may also be a Holtzer.
Dave

Sargeguy

Thanks

I thought it looked like a Stanley & Patterson, but couldn't tell for sure. I am under the impression that most Holtzer-Cabot mags were marked on the magnets, but I don't see any on this one.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rdelius

I agree that the tx looks like an ericssion coal grain. Some manufactures bought them to get around WE patents

Sargeguy

The Ericsson would have been added when it was converted to a "pony" phone.  I think it was designed for this purpose.  It doesn't look like it would fit on an arm or bracket. Not sure if receiver was later or original.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I need to find another terminal nut for it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

that is a cool find of early wood.
you did well.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 11, 2018, 09:19:01 PM
The Ericsson would have been added when it was converted to a "pony" phone.  I think it was designed for this purpose.  It doesn't look like it would fit on an arm or bracket. Not sure if receiver was later or original.

As an Equestrian (who collects phones), the word 'pony' has intrigued me on this one. I'd love to learn a bit more.
What was this converted from? And why is it called a pony phone? And what sort of place would want/need a pony phone?

Interesting find.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Sargeguy

"Pony" in slang refers to a smaller version of something. These receivers were shorter than the long poles that proceeded them, and these phones were also smaller than the two or three boxers they were made from.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RB

Nice phone! how bout a pic of that chain driven mag? :)

FABphones

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 12, 2018, 07:03:55 AM
"Pony" in slang refers to a smaller version of something. These receivers were shorter than the long poles that proceeded them, and these phones were also smaller than the two or three boxers they were made from.

Thanks. I thought it might be something like that.  :)

( A 'pony' in slang in the UK means £25).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble