News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Barn Find

Started by ....., August 22, 2020, 06:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Picked up this barn find today, It was a N293G converted to a N393G in 1953. It has a 4H dial.

Doug Rose

Tis a beauty. Are you stripping it and res-staining? This will look tremendous when you are done..Doug
Kidphone

Thanks Doug, Not sure what I going to do with it. I wiped it down and added a receiver and cord along with a dial card.
Might leave it for a rainy day.

Key2871

That is cool, I think I would try touching it up a little, and preserve the decal that tell you to speak slowly, etc.
It cleaned up well and looks to be either black paint or varnish or other finish. But that's very nice.
KEN

oldguy

Great find Duffy. Was it a good price?
Gary

tubaman

Really nice. As per @Key2871, I'd just try touching it in before anything more radical. After all,it's only original once.
:)

Quote from: oldguy on August 23, 2020, 12:34:33 AM
Great find Duffy. Was it a good price?

It was a very good price. Got it for less than the value of the 4H dial that's in it.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Duffy on August 23, 2020, 09:39:19 AM
Got it for less than the value of the 4H dial that's in it.

They are not actually that common and I don't know what the current going rate (of the dial) is.

I think that was the last time NE tried to make a better dial than WE.

Actually, the N293 DP was also the last NE residence set that was made the right way up (the standard at the rime).

Jack

SunriseEarth

Quote from: Duffy on August 22, 2020, 07:28:45 PM
Thanks Doug, Not sure what I going to do with it. I wiped it down and added a receiver and cord along with a dial card.
Might leave it for a rainy day.

There's a certain charm to it as it is.   Some phones have an interesting history to share. 
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

Key2871

Yea I think the patina is just right on it to just enjoy it the way it is.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Key2871 on August 24, 2020, 07:29:05 PM
Yea I think the patina is just right on it to just enjoy it the way it is.
I agree. Leave it be .
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Thanks everyone, It's already on display in my collection. I will decide sometime in the future when I get caught up with my other projects what to do with it.  I already have one in good shape in the picture below, so maybe leaving it as is maybe an option.

Key2871

It fits right in, nice job.
KEN

Quote from: Key2871 on August 25, 2020, 05:41:48 AM
It fits right in, nice job.

That's not the one, that is my original one. Read the second line in my comment above.