News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

unusual AE dial and info?

Started by Dave Beck, April 06, 2014, 06:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Beck

Got this AE dial on an old 925 Kellogg. When I took it apart I noticed wires going to the inside of the dial. I have never seen this before does anyone have any info on this and what the capacitors are for?

Thanks,
Dave Beck

Slal

New at this.  Be interesting to see what 'Stub' and others w/more experience think.

Looks like "Radio Suppressor" dial from a (1944?) cat. 4055-D page 33.

Cat. No. AK-47 'Radio Suppressor Dial - Black

"Used to prevent the 'broadcasting' of dial impulses to a radio receiving set, which may otherwise occur when an aerial is located near an open wire telephone line.  Like Cat. No. AK-11 but is equipped also with a 0.1 m.f. condenser and a winding radio frequency choke coil mounted in the dial cup and wired to the springs." 

--Bruce

PS:  Thanks for posting that photo.  Am making 3-ring binder w/ref. pictures.  Will come in handy once the experts weigh in. 

Dave Beck

This dial did not work, I am wondering if the capacitors were bad if this could be the problem, can I just remove the capacitors and use it as normal?

Dave Beck

rdelius

Be carefull, it is easy to short out the pulsing contacts if wires and or lugs  are not dressed neatly.You can convert this dial to a standard one but you might need a second dial for pile-up insulators or spacers.That dial was used mostly on type 47 sets