News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Joan Blondell & The AT&T Vail Medal

Started by Fabius, November 22, 2018, 11:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I found the photo of actress Joan Blondell presenting a cased Vail Medal to a telephone operator. The first time I saw this photo I didn't see the medal. When I went pack to the eBay item later I spotted it.

Notice the operator is holding on for dear life to her chair.

I searched the internet to see if Joan appeared in any telephone/switchboard movie. And she did. The 1934 "I've Got Your Number". The second photo is a shot from the movie. Notice in both photos the three 1921 Bell telephone signs

Also notice in the publicity shot there are holes in the center top front of the switchboards where the wood plate with the board position number would be. Why where they removed?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Dan/Panther

The poor girl looks petrified.
Remember back then, they had to send the film to the lab to be developed and then printed. So they didn't see the finished photo until later that day or maybe the next day. No take another shot.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

19and41

She was probably awestruck, getting the medal and having a prominent star present it, even in a staged photo, was quite an event.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Sargeguy

They probably had her present the medal as a publicity stunt to promote the film.  I wonder who the recipient was?  Must be Los Angeles 1934.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

FABphones

What is a Vail Medal?   Ah, looked it up.

'The Vail Medal was created in 1920 in memory of Theodore N. Vail (President of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company from 1907 to 1919) to perpetuate his ideals of service to the public. The medal, which bears his likeness, was awarded to individuals for noteworthy acts reflecting the Bell System's highest traditions of loyalty and devotion to duty'.

Another quick search shows o.p. Fabius has the book "Recipients For Noteworthy Public Service, Theodore N. Vail National Awards" that lists recipients up to 1948.

Fabius, any clues in the book as to who the recipient is, and why the medal was awarded?

ETA: Those first two photos look like they are one and the same location. So possibly the Operator went on set to receive her award? It looks like she has her bag on her lap. A visit to the studios would add to her nervousness. And if on set it might answer why there are no board position numbers.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Fabius

Quote from: FABphones on November 26, 2018, 03:34:58 PM

Another quick search shows o.p. Fabius has the book "Recipients For Noteworthy Public Service, Theodore N. Vail National Awards" that lists recipients up to 1948.

Fabius, any clues in the book as to who the recipient is, and why the medal was awarded?

Thanks for reminding me about that book. The film was produced in 1933 and released in 1934.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

HarrySmith

I was thinking the same thing, both pictures look like the same location. The signs in the background are in the same positions as is the door. That would explain the purse in her lap and probably add to her nervousness! I wonder if she can be found in the list of recipients? The photo must be from around the same time period as the movie, 1933 or 1934.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Fabius

A search of the Vail Medal book for the years 1933 & 1934 show two female recipients that where with Pacific Telephone & Telegraph and one who was with People's Telephone Company. Was Burbank served by an independent? In 1933 only 6 silver and 8 bronze medals were issued and in 1934 only 3 silver and 30 bronze medals were issued.

There is no mention of the Southern California Telephone Company in the book. Maybe because it was owned by PT&T.

According to the internet movie database the film was shot on a set at the Warner Brothers Burbank Studios - 4000 Warner Boulevard, Burbank, California, USA.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905