News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lampitis strikes - Super Aladdin (Model 14?) hanging lamp...

Started by twocvbloke, February 06, 2017, 12:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy1702

You do know we have Ikeas over here now don't you? No need to travel by bus across Europe!  ;D
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

Oh I know that, it's just some of the roads round here are so broken you'd think they were all the way from Russia or Poland or something...  ;D

I just got done test-fitting the shade, it looks pretty good with that one on there, pictures don't do it justice, but it looks very nice when lit... :)

Still need to permanently attach it to my copper ring I made up, but so far it hands nicely on it as is... :D

19and41

You chose well.  It looks like it passes the light effectively.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

The shade does attenuate the light somewhat, but it's the reflectivity that I wanted so that the light was directed downwards making it a useful light under where it hangs... :)

twocvbloke

Using my excess of 30amp copper wire (well, the Earth core from 30Amp T&E at least), I've finished attaching the shade to the lamp, bit rough looking, but it's not really visible when it's hung up, and is nice and secure... :)

twocvbloke

Well, after a major headbutt earlier today (dunno which got the bigger dent, the lamp or my head!!), the mantle and mantle frame are no longer one, but the mantle itself is still sat in place, just supporting itself rather than hanging over the flame... ::)

The lamp (and the 23) almost came into their own on Weds. night though, the mains power failed so I set about getting them all ready, had one of my CampinGaz lamps lit, the 23 moved downstairs, the Super hung up, and went back downstairs with the CampinGaz to light the 23, and the blummin' power returned, suffice to say I was disappointed that my emergency lighting procedure wasn't put to full use... ;D

Anyway, the mantle:

19and41

I guess the best way to get a good fail is to not be prepared.  ;)
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Speaking of fails, that mantle is now no more, split in half, so, no good now... :(

Did finally sort out issues with the flame not burning right, it was working but one side of the mantle always got hotter (probably why it split on that side), turned out that where the gallery locks onto the burner had taken a hit at somepoint in its past and was slightly bent out of shape, not enough to be obvious to the eye, but enough to muck up the ariflow (and probably caused the split in the diffuser thing on the outer wick tube), now it's reasonably even and easier to get the gallery on and off... :)

Anyway, no spare mantles now, the other tall mantle, same style as in the 23, is now in this lamp, though having had a rearrange of my floorspace, there should be fewer cranial impacts upon the lamp, and thus, hopefully, less chance of another knackered mantle!!!  ;D

It'd be nice to find someone selling a boxful of old style mantles like these for cheap, proper thorium mantles are getting harder to find now, and the modern ones, though they do work, just don't produce the same colour light that I like with these older ones..

Babybearjs

Just remember..... this is why we have electric lighting.... too many people died in the 19th century of CO2 poisoning.... so be careful... plus the risk of fire... though now a days people are more careful... Beautiful lamp. My dad had a kerosene Table lamp that was really nice... used to light it only when we had dinner in the diningroom.... company and such.... they work great in a power failure!
John

TelePlay

Carbon monoxide is the killer (CO) and created by a lack of oxygen in the burner usually due to use over time in a closed room. Carbon dioxide (CO2) is what we exhale and is needed by plants to both grow and generate oxygen for us to breathe.

Blocked inlet pipes for high efficiency furnaces, usually caused by uncleared snow drifts in winter, will generate a house full of carbon monoxide and silently kill families to this very day. That's why by law these days people are forced to install at least one carbon monoxide detector on every level of a home.

Awareness of causes in all cases prevents deaths, regardless of the hazard.

twocvbloke

CO is foremost on my mind when burning things like the Aladdins (I only use one at a time, rather than both, gets too hot with one, never mind two!!!), but that's why I like the blue-flame lamp design, as it combusts the fuel more thoroughly, thus producing the blue flame, it means that CO is reduced to tiny levels therefore making it far safer to use than a more conventional lamp, and the addition of a mantle adds a catalyst that further helps burn off unwanted chemicals... :)

I also keep the room ventilated with my window being opened slightly, aswell as keeping my door open (this house has more air leaks than a dry-rotted tyre!) to keep a flow going, so I'm doing okay with my lamps, but that said I haven't lit either for a few months, too warm, that and it's very light in the evenings anyway... :)

andy1702

CO shouldn't be a problem provided there is enough air getting to the flame to produce a clean burn.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

19and41

I would imagine any CO would also have a strong odor of the lamp's fuel accompanying it.
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on June 06, 2017, 05:58:12 PM
I would imagine any CO would also have a strong odor of the lamp's fuel accompanying it.

Yes, exactly, CO is odorless and colorless but if being produced from a kerosene type lantern where the combustion is not complete due to the lack of oxygen in the burner, the fuel smell would be stronger due to incomplete combustion of the fuel. That's the danger of CO from less "smelly" fuels, you can't smell the fuel.

twocvbloke

The only time I get a smell of fuel from my Aladdin lamps is initial lighting and after putting it out (hot burner still evaporating fuel), during the burn when the lamps and my 37 heater are set to a nice efficient burn, the smell they do emit is akin to that of a natural gas flame from a cooker top or the flame from one of my CampinGaz lamps, very clean and not unpleasant at all... :)

The visual signs of a CO hazard are easy to spot, yellow, sooty flames that leave an unpleasant odour in the air, part of the reason I don't burn my wicked lanterns in the house (don't like the smell indoors, though oddly I quite like it when out in the shed!!), of course, unless you're like me and stare at the lamps like a moth, you may not notice these issues so a CO monitor is definitely a recommendation...