News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A question to the UK members.

Started by Willytx, February 10, 2012, 01:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willytx

There aren't many Western Electric phones listed on eBay UK that are actually in Britain. If someone was headed over, would it be worthwhile to take along a few phones to sell? Nothing fancy, just some random 500s. Your ebay listings seem filled with Chinese replicas these days.

This German listing is what gave me the idea. This has to be a truly optimistic seller.
http://tinyurl.com/7hdm8fq
The rare white 2500. Maybe the military only left black phones.

twocvbloke

It'd be nice to have some more 500s on ebayUK, I've counted 1 WE made ones and 4 Canadian or ITT ones so far, some rather "optimistically priced", some a little overpriced, so an injection of some "new blood" would be good I think...  :D

I was watching a black 2500 (no idea what make it was though), no bids, "sold as props", looked very nice but they haven't relisted it, shame cos I wanted that one too... :(

But yes, ebay's flooded with imitations, "dreyfuss" telephones, Diner payphones, steepletone, Protelx, they're all there, so it's filtering the fact from fiction that's the fun job... :-\

AE_Collector

Quote from: Willytx on February 10, 2012, 01:16:05 AM
If someone was headed over, would it be worthwhile to take along a few phones to sell?

And bring back GPO phones on your return!

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_collector on February 11, 2012, 02:02:09 PMAnd bring back GPO phones on your return!

Terry

hehe, not too many though, we've still got to have something of our own to play with.... :D

gpo706

Willy - if you want to smuggle a nice green 500 or even a 2500 over in your luggage I will swap it for one of my "cough" pristine GPO 700's, saves me £40 in postage!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

AE_Collector

Might cost you a couple hundred quid to meet up with him over there to do the swap though!

I bought a couple of Ivory GPO 746 sets that were in the USA because the postage was inexpensive and getting two at once made it even cheaper per phone. Just wish they were two different colors.

I bought a green GPO 332 on ebaY that was in Canada. I was bidding against other British buyers but they all gave out early likely because of what it would cost them to get it back home and I wound up with it.

If anyone in North America is really looking for black GEC 332's or black GEC Muraphones I do have some spares. I have some busted ones as well so they are a source of parts.

Muraphone pics below for those that don't know what they are.

Terry

twocvbloke

I've never seen one of those before, they look like an early attempt at a trimphone...  :D

Willytx

Yes, the cat's out of the bag. I'm headed over next month. I was wondering if it would be worth the $60 to $80 dollars for an extra suitcase stuffed with phones. My friend in the Midlands already sells stuff on eBay so it wouldn't be a problem to list anything I bring.

Willytx

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 10, 2012, 09:48:39 AM
It'd be nice to have some more 500s on ebayUK, I've counted 1 WE made ones and 4 Canadian or ITT ones so far, some rather "optimistically priced", some a little overpriced, so an injection of some "new blood" would be good I think...  :D

I was watching a black 2500 (no idea what make it was though), no bids, "sold as props", looked very nice but they haven't relisted it, shame cos I wanted that one too... :(

But yes, ebay's flooded with imitations, "dreyfuss" telephones, Diner payphones, steepletone, Protelx, they're all there, so it's filtering the fact from fiction that's the fun job... :-\

Is there anyway to break up the Vintage/Retro category? If you search UK eBay for a vintage phone, all this retro 'rotarepo' and the like turns up. Vintage is old, Retro is not. Maybe a Retro-repro section?

Willytx

Quote from: gpo706 on February 11, 2012, 03:16:36 PM
Willy - if you want to smuggle a nice green 500 or even a 2500 over in your luggage I will swap it for one of my "cough" pristine GPO 700's, saves me £40 in postage!

I have a green 500, but there is a small crack on the front right corner and the dial needs cleaning and lubricating. It just sits on top of a toolbox waiting for inspiration.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Willytx on February 11, 2012, 04:41:55 PMIs there anyway to break up the Vintage/Retro category? If you search UK eBay for a vintage phone, all this retro 'rotarepo' and the like turns up. Vintage is old, Retro is not. Maybe a Retro-repro section?

Not as far as I'm aware, I generally just scan the Collectibles-Radio/Television/Telephony and the Mobile & Home phones categories without any search terms, usually works well for me... :)

AE_Collector

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 11, 2012, 04:02:58 PM
I've never seen one of those before, they look like an early attempt at a trimphone...  :D

The GPO never adopted GEC's Muraphone. Therefore GEC sold them for private PAX and PBX systems. Many of the large post offices in Canada were equipped with GEC PAX systems using 332 desk and Muraphone wall phones back i nthe 50's and 60's. That is where I got the GEC phones that I have.

Terry