News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric G3 Rotary Telephone. Bottom is stamped Bell System F-52578, 8-5

Started by zapper, June 09, 2015, 07:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapper

eBay item number:191597829797
Zapper

jsowers

This is a "Demitasse" set, according to Paul's site, and it was tested in field trials in San Leandro, CA, Columbus, OH and Brooklyn, NY. Also, here's an auction picture for posterity. To me it looks a lot like the early mobile phone, with a dial added to the handset. Paul's site has a lot of info on these unusual phones.

http://www.paul-f.com/wef.html
Jonathan

TelePlay

It is now Auction Contest #178 -- guess what this one will sell for. I think this seller is in for a very pleasant surprise.

Places your guesses in the contest topic at:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14492.0

. . . and

Continue any and all discussion of this phone here.

andre_janew

I never know how much to guess on these phones.  Prototype phones sometimes go way high or way low.  One thing for sure is that this one has got to be the most compact and yet somewhat modern phone that I have ever seen. 

G-Man

Actually not as uncommon as some may think.  Several years ago, one of these was donated to the TCI club and was auctioned off.

andre_janew

The guesses range anywhere from $825 to $3,700 thus so far.  I know that everyone has their reasons for making the guess that they've made.  As I'm writing this, it has a current bid of $100 with slightly more than 5 days to go.  Nobody knows if it will stay there for a few days, a few hours, or just a few minutes. 

Russ Kirk

I'm with you Andre,  my guess was a total stab in the dark.  That's what makes the auctions fun!
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

TelePlay

Quote from: andre_janew on June 10, 2015, 04:22:03 PM
As I'm writing this, it has a current bid of $100 with slightly more than 5 days to go.  Nobody knows if it will stay there for a few days, a few hours, or just a few minutes.

The other factor is the $100 is the result of 7 bids from 7 bidders, 3 of which I think are those who can and may spend a lot for this phone so it may come down to a slow rise over the next 4 days as the "test" the water, the high end and then go for it at snipe time to see how much two or more bidders are willing to spring for this phone. Time will tell and yes, it should be fun to watch. Have no idea of where it will end.

andre_janew

You may be right about that.  I just checked and it is up to $102.50.  There could be a slow rise over the next few days and maybe a dramatic rise over the last few hours(or minutes!).  Of course, time will tell.

TelePlay

With a bit more than two and a half days to go, the phone doubled in highest bid to $210 with two new bidders entering the auction. 10 bids, 10 bidders. Getting closer to crunch time.

TelePlay

Nice jump up with 20 hours to go. Now at $455.00. Just about time to spin the contest guess roulette wheel.