News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who wants to be on C*NET?

Started by bellsystemproperty, April 02, 2010, 08:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellsystemproperty

I got my C*net line connected the other day with the help of Shane Young. C*net stands for collector's net, and is a private (not public phone network) voip phone network. It's free and you can call any other c*net number, and there are no area codes because it is just 7 digit dialing. I connected it as a line on the pbx. Shane Young helped me get set up with the ATA, which is the device that plugs into the PBX and acts like a small central office. Mine also supports pulse dialing. A lot of c*net numbers are connected to old step switches and PBX.

If you want to call any c*net number and you're not on c*net, you can use one of these portal numbers from a normal phone:

+1 (206) 203-6610    Country Code + Number
+1 (206) 203-7640   
+1 (515) 949-1232    Speech Recognition: Say country code and number
+1 (800) 953-4065     (with this one you need to dial 1+ the 7 digit number
+1 (952) 652-7000    Country Code + Number

My c*net number is 821-9952, and anybody can call it if they want and I'll talk if I'm not busy or in the bathroom (Surprisingly I don't have phones in there. :D :D) although don't call at 3 in the morning (Pacific Time).  ;D ;D

C*net is pretty cool and there's more information here:
https://www.ckts.info

This is my ATA. One port plugs into the router to the internet and the phone port connects to the PBX, although you can also just plug a phone straight into it if you want. It is a Motorola vt1005.

bellsystemproperty

Phonesrfun

Not yet, I was hoping you'd show me how.  I e-mailed you.
-Bill G

Greg G.

Kinda ironic, but I get more info via this type of medium than I do talking on the phone.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

You may call me at  +47 2 21 62 40  please not later than 10 p.m. Norwegian time.

dsk

Phonesrfun

Well, I got my router from Shane Young today, and have successfully made my first few calls on C*Net.  I called Kyle and I called my friend Colin, both in Sunny California.

Woo Hoo.
-Bill G

bellsystemproperty

Today I have finally gotten my C*NET switch running with the help of Dave Haber. It is running on the 794 prefix.

Taken from www.ckts.info:
Background
In the fall of 2004, an email conversation began on the Telephone Collectors International mailing list. Several folks who had restored older PBXes and CO switching systems had begun to wonder, now that Voice Over IP was beginning to be viable, if there was a way to connect their switches together via the internet.

Someone mentioned the Asterisk VoIP PBX , and, with a little experimentation, the project took off, with several of the switchers creating Asterisk switches as tandems to their switches. A central switching scheme was established, office codes were assigned, and an automated method of looking up call routing was put in place. The Collectors' Net , or C*NET , was born.

Since then, we've built a private network that includes more than just electromechanical switches connected to Asterisk PBXes. So far, we have older PBXes and CO switches, key systems of various sorts, and individual telephones.

These are connected not only by Asterisk VoIP PBXes, but also by other VoIP PBXes, Analog Terminal Adapters, VoIP telephones, and soft phones. There has also been some successful experimentation involving embedding Asterisk, pre-configured, into a standard residential firewall/DSL Modem.

We have our own mailing list , where we can cuss and discuss challenges and solutions, as well as pretty much anything telephony or VOIP related. The discussions so far have produced a wealth of information, available in the mailing list archives . You'll need to subscribe to the mailing list in order to view the archives, so you should plan ahead.
------------------------------------
Anyways, now that my switch is running I am offering anyone that wants to a C*NET number. You can even choose your number, it just cannot start with 8 or 9.

There are two great ways to connect to C*NET.
1. Use an ATA (analog terminal adapter). This will allow you to connect your standard telephone, including rotary phones. Not all ATAs support pulse dialing (what rotary phones use), but one in production that does is the Grandstream HT502. If you do not want to use pulse dialing, then any ATA will work like a Linksys PAP-2NA. One word of warning though: Be sure you get an ATA that is not locked to any one service provider. If it says Vonage on it, it will not work with C*NET. ATAs can be found on eBay for around $20.

2. Use an ip phone. An ip phone is a telephone that has an ethernet jack in it. You plug it in to your router and use it like a normal phone. Think of it as a telephone with an ata built in it. A really good ip phone is a Linksys SPA941, I have one and the sound quality is crystal clear.

3. This way I do not recommend, but it is possible. You can use a soft phone, or a phone in your computer. You will need a microphone and speakers, but it is free. X-lite is a popular free one. http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite.html I do not like soft phones because the sound quality is not as good as a real phone. Computers were never made to be a telephone.

Once you get your device, it is really easy to configure, even for those who are scared of computers. Here is a screenshot with all you have to configure. The fields you need to enter are circled. Don't worry, if you have problems I can help. Another good thing is that you can change what device you are using. If you are on an ip phone and want to use an ATA, no problem. All you have to do is to enter the information you entered in the ip phone on the ATA.

Those are the fields you enter, and I will tell you what you need to enter in those fields.

The dialing scheme on C*NET is really simple. You dial the country code, in this case 1, plus the seven digit number. There are no area codes. To call me you would dial 1-794-5953. Inter pbx calling is only the last four digits, so if I hosted you and you wanted to call me you'd dial 5953.

Anyways I encourage anyone who wants to be on C*NET PM me or call me and tell me their desired number. If you don't know much about computers I'll help you, and once you get it running you will be very happy.
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

JorgeAmely

What is the advantage of a C*NET number versus one from Google Voice?

Is this an example of an "ATA phone adapter"? (That was my ebay query).

Can a non C*NET user call you on your C*NET number?

Jorge

bellsystemproperty

C*NET is a private network, meaning it is not on the PSTN. If you dialed 794-5953 you might be connected to Pizza Hut or something. Google Voice is a really cool service, but it is a PSTN service. C*NET is for phone collectors or those who like phones, like us.   ;D. C*NET is basically a whole another phone network. You can also have voicemail if you want, although some don't want it if they want to use an answering machine. I can enable or disable voicemail for anyone, depending on their preference.
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

JorgeAmely

How many people are in the C*NET network? Is there a directory published?
Jorge

bellsystemproperty

A lot of people. Here is a directory, but some people aren't listed.
https://www.ckts.info/directory.php
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

JorgeAmely

If 553-xxxx is unused, can any C*NET user take it?
Jorge

bellsystemproperty

Yes, but you'll need to set up an Asterisk machine to use the prefix.
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

bellsystemproperty

C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

bellsystemproperty

Quote from: JorgeAmely on July 16, 2010, 07:34:13 PM
What is the advantage of a C*NET number versus one from Google Voice?

Is this an example of an "ATA phone adapter"? (That was my ebay query).

Can a non C*NET user call you on your C*NET number?

Sorry Jorge for missing that part. Yes, a non C*NET member can dial in by using one of the portals.

+1 (206) 203-6610       Country Code + Number
+1 (206) 203-7640    
+1 (515) 949-1232    Speech Recognition: Say country code and number
+1 (800) 953-4065    
+1 (952) 652-7000    Country Code + Number

Yes, the ATA you posted would work fine. You can get the Linksys PAP2-NA ATAs for the same price though that can have two lines on them. It's best to get one that says it is unlocked, then you know for sure it is not locked to any one service provider like Vonage. Also be aware that the one you saw on eBay probably doesn't work with pulse dialing. You can use your Panasonic 616 and connect the ATA to it as a line and then the 616 will convert to touch-tone for you.
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)