News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

354 with potential

Started by Whitcrane76, April 04, 2019, 05:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitcrane76

Found it at the local antique shop. The guy that had it wanted $7.50 but said he would let me have it for $6. I jumped on it!
I already have an f- handset, a little elbow grease, a new cord and she'll be good as new.

Babybearjs

be sure to get a 228 modular plate for it so you can plug it in! looking toward seeing the restoration photos!
John

jsowers

Are the numbers missing from the dial face or is that some kind of illusion? I've heard of numbers only dials, but not letters only.  ;) Looks like the red numbers either faded away or they were "cleaned" off. Hope you have fun bringing your bargain back to new. That's the best part.
Jonathan

Key2871

Modular back plate! The heck you say, mount that babe to the wall, run a wire up from behind, and connect it up!
That's how that gets connected.

I wish I could find one for that price, last one I saw the guy wanted a Hundo for it, too rich for me..

Nice find, congrats.
KEN

Whitcrane76

The numbers are just faded really bad. And yes hardwire is the only way for me!

Pourme

~

I paid $10.00+ shipping for mine on EBAY. When I got it, it turned out to be my birthday phone. Those are really cool wall phones. You did really good, they can clean up really well!

A phone well worth saving.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

RB

I can support both modular, and hard wire.
If it is available, sure...
if not, then the next best thing to get it working!
I wish I had everything I needed... but what fun would that be???
Well, I would like to know, as that has seldom been the case for me.
Nice find at a very good price.
That's one on my bucket list.

Babybearjs

Don't feel bad about the face plate... Mine are faded too!
John

Whitcrane76

Progess update.
Stickers are gone, cleaned up pretty good. Donor F1, just needs a cord and some polishing now.

Whitcrane76

It was kind of nasty but pretty much all original parts.

Key2871

Might be nasty, but you got a nice phone for a great price, and with some TLC you'll end up with a jen.
Looks like it spent a long time in a barn or a basement.
But it's looking good!
KEN

19and41

That poor old thing sure needed some love!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

Please keep this topic update with pictures of the restoration process. I love taking old nasty ones like this and bringing them back! Plus step by step procedures might assist someone down the line who needs to restore a nasty one. Maybe we can add it to the "Bringing Phones Back From The Dead" topic. Have you checked that one out yet? Some truly remarkable transfomations:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11814.0

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Agreed Harry, it's very rewarding to do the work then sit back and enjoy it
KEN

Babybearjs

have several of these and they are fun to restore... a good cleaning, replacement of missing or wrong parts, and a #228 modular back plate, and it will last another 100 years! (providing it properly taken care of...)
John