News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What would be a fair amount?

Started by Dewdrop, October 20, 2010, 01:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewdrop

I just received this Monophone AE Telephone.

The seller was unaware of the crack in the housing. It cost $23.49 including shipping.

He is aware of it now and is willing to try to make it right.

Would cutting the actual price of the phone in half be fair?

It's is my first phone of this style. Maybe someday I can find a housing in better shape.

Your advice and/or options appreciated.

Thanks
Debbie
Debbie

Dennis Markham

Debbie my thoughts on the phone...........

The bakelite housings are not like plastic in that they are much more difficult to repair.  The crack will always be there.  Unless you did a lot of phone work and could use the phone for parts, it's not much good to you unless you don't mind the crack.  A different housing for an AE 40 is very difficult to change.  The top half of the phone (the housing) and the bottom are connected by many wires.  Some are soldered into place.  It is a difficult thing to just change the housing.  I would say that that option isn't practical....not an easy thing to do like with the Western Electric housings.

If you send it back the entire deal should be no cost to you.  Sometimes they offer to refund all or part of the transaction.  If someone has to "eat" the damage, it shouldn't be you.  You hold the hammer with your feedback for the seller.  Don't leave it until you're satisfied. 

That's a pretty significant crack.  I'm surprised it wasn't visible in the eBay photos.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 20, 2010, 01:36:57 PM
That's a pretty significant crack.  I'm surprised it wasn't visible in the eBay photos.

That's what I was thinking too, how can the seller claim they "weren't aware" of such an obvious crack? 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Debbie,

A crack is that spot is common for AE40s.  Did you see a picture of the phone before you bought it?  If the phone was not packed well, or the package was handled roughly, it might have cracked during shipment.  Dennis is correct about repairs.  You will not be able to repair it so that it will not be visible, but you can drop some super glue into the crack from the inside to keep it from worsening.

As parts, the phone is actually worth much more than $20, so if you want to keep it for parts, I would suggest asking for a partial refund, perhaps $10-$15.  If you keep it, you will be in a better position if you find a cheap phone without a dial, handset, ringer, etc..

Just my 2 cents.

Larry

Doug Rose

Quote from: Brinybay on October 20, 2010, 02:55:08 PM
Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 20, 2010, 01:36:57 PM

That's what I was thinking too, how can the seller claim they "weren't aware" of such an obvious crack? 
Damaged in shipping? This has taken quite a bang to give a large crack like that in the bakelite. Were there pieces of bakelite in the box? Was the box dented? Can you post the auction number? A crack like that would not have been easy to hide in pictures. I agree with Dennis, this cannot be saved and you should get a full refund including shipping both ways, if he/she wants it back....Doug
Kidphone

Adam

While bashed boxes are a definite indication of in-shipment damage, I have received broken phones that were obviously broken in-shipment in which boxes were not visually damaged in any way.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

LarryInMichigan

If the handset was not securely wrapped and separated from the base, they could have bumped during shipment and caused the crack.  I always ask sellers to keep the handset from coming into contact with or bumping the base, and most comply, but some disregard the request and leave the handset in the cradle or just drop it into the box.

Larry

Dave F

Quote from: masstel on October 20, 2010, 03:17:43 PM
While bashed boxes are a definite indication of in-shipment damage, I have received broken phones that were obviously broken in-shipment in which boxes were not visually damaged in any way.

Absolutely right!  More than once, I have received phones that were definitely broken in shipment, yet the box showed no evidence whatsoever.

Dewdrop

More info:

The picture I posted is the auction pic. I couldn't tell if was cracked from the pic. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked.

With the seller having over 150 positive feedback (no negatives or neutrals) I didn't think he would ship out a cracked phone.

There was no damage to the box.

The handset was wrapped separately with bubble wrap (1 sheet) & the phone was wrapped in bubble wrap (1 sheet). Newsprint (without ink) was used around the handset and phone. The wrapped handset was behind the phone in the box when I opened it.

I sent him the shipping tips for phones before I paid with Paypal.

Larry suggested a partial refund $10-$15.

Would a refund of $12.50 or $11.75 (half of the total for phone & shipping) be fair?

I've never left a negative or neutral feedback and never have received anything but positive.

Thanks again
Debbie
Debbie

LarryInMichigan

Debbie,

The auction picture does show a crack, at least to me.  I personally would blame myself for the oversight since the picture shows the crack.  I have bought a few things without looking closely enough and then felt disappointed and stupid when they arrived.  If the description would lead one to think that the phone was in excellent condition, I would probably ask for at least a small refund.  By the way, I have seen AE40s in much worse condition go for much higher prices on ebay.  I think that some people buy them for the handset or other parts.  Even if you get no refund, I think that you still got more than your money's worth for the parts.

Larry

Dewdrop

Thanks Larry,

Maybe I should get my eyes checked.

I've never seen one of these phones "in real life". Some phones (maybe a lot of phones) are dirty/filthy in the pictures on eBay.

There was some white or off white in the vents (if that what they are called). Maybe that is from some polish they didn't completely remove.

So maybe a refund of $7.00 would be fair.

Thanks
Debbie
Debbie

baldopeacock

Seems to me that the crack should have been mentioned in the ad copy.   If it were me I'd try to split the deal 50/50 with the seller.   If the phone's in working order, you can end up with a "daily driver" desk phone, flawed but still interesting and fun to look at.