News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Princess 702B (2/67) with a 4010B Network

Started by gands-antiques, June 16, 2017, 12:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

I have been trying to wire a Princess 702B today using the TCI schematic without much luck.
So far, only the handset receiver and transmitter are working. The phone does not get a dial tone, it will not dial out and it will not ring.

Will someone please help out with a list of the component wire colors to the correct network terminal connections... Hook switch, ringer, handset and dial?

Thanks,
Gary

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: gands-antiques on June 16, 2017, 12:06:18 AM
I have been trying to wire a Princess 702B today using the TCI schematic without much luck.
So far, only the handset receiver and transmitter are working. The phone does not get a dial tone, it will not dial out and it will not ring.

Will someone please help out with a list of the component wire colors to the correct network terminal connections... Hook switch, ringer, handset and dial?

Thanks,
Gary
I don't understand how if the receiver and transmitter are working the phone can possibly not get dial tone!  It's certainly understandable that it might not ring or be able to dial out though.  Is there sidetone when you pick it up as though to make an outgoing call?

I believe there are BSPs on the TCI which show the connections in tabular form.   Which specific BSP #s and issue #s have you tried to use without success?

gands-antiques

I have it connected to a telephone tester/analyzer and that is how the handset is testing good and the other components are not. 

I was using the 702B TCI schematic and I wired it as I interpreted it and it isn't working. 

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: gands-antiques on June 16, 2017, 12:42:01 AM
I have it connected to a telephone tester/analyzer and that is how the handset is testing good and the other components are not. 

I was using the 702B TCI schematic and I wired it as I interpreted it and it isn't working.
Sorry, cannot help you.  You did not answer my explicit questions and your description of your testing with the tester/analyzer is too vague.

poplar1

Did you move the black ringer wire from G to L1?

If so, make sure the line cord is good. It appears that the spade tips are too large for the fine gauge conductors of your line cord.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

gands-antiques

Thanks Poplar...

The black ringer wire is connected to L1.

I changed the line cord with a confirmed good one and still the same results. One thing i did notice now that I don't know if I checked earlier is that the Loop Test checks good.

Still no dial tone, dial out or ringer. 

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

Gary, try connecting the line directly to RR and C on the network. This bypasses the line switch (hookswitch).

gands-antiques

Thanks Poplar....

After wiring the line cord to RR and CC,  I get a dial tone now on the land line but it won't break dial tone when I try to dial out.  Is still won't receive calls when connected to the land line and the bell still isn't ringing on the tester.

Do you happen to have a list of the wire/colors from each component to the appropriate network terminal connections like you have provided me with in the past when I was wiring candlesticks.

I don't understand the TCI schematic when it lists wire colors as  s-r, s-w, s-y, s-g, etc. 
I don't see that many wires with a silver combination with a color.

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

S-R = slate-red. "Slate" = gray.

Move line wire that you temporarily placed on RR to F. This will add the dial pulse back in the circuit -- but not the ringer or hookswitch.
Do you still have dial tone? If so, can you dial out?

If good so far, then move same line wire as above from F to L1.
Do you still have dial tone?

gands-antiques

When connected to F I I got a loud dial tone and was able to successfully dial out. 
When I moved F to L1,  I got a real quiet dial tone but couldn't break dial tone or dial out.

poplar1

If you moved the line cord wire from F back to L1, there should be no difference in the dial tone volume. This should only add one side of  the hookswitch back into the circuit: green [slate-green only in the earliest 702s] to L1 and white [slate-white] to F. (Also adds ringer but that should not affect receiver volume.)

Fig. 7 of BSP      502-700-100-i9

poplar1

Dial:
Blue to F
Green (or blue) to RR
White to GN
White to R

Handset:
Black to B
Red to R
White to GN
White to R

Ringer:
Black to L1 (when using 1/4 modular cord)
Red to K
(Slate and Slate-red ringer wires insulated and stored)

Line Switch (Hookswitch):
Green to L1
White to F
Yellow to L2
Brown to C
Red to GN
Black to R
Slate to A

Line cord (mounting cord):
Green to L1
Red to L2

Transformer to 3 & 4

gands-antiques

Thanks Poplar...

I connected all of the wiring using the list you provided.  I couldn't find terminal 'W' on the network so I connected the black wire from the Line Switch to terminal R.

Everything works except for the ringer and I wired in the ringer from another 702B and it worked. I can swap the ringers out but I would like to get the original one working so the second 702B will be working too. Is there a way to troubleshoot a princess ringer?

Thanks a lot for all of your help...
Gary

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

gands-antiques

Thanks Greg...

I saw a previous post by poplar that said the resistance should be around 4600 ohms.

I haven't check the resistance yet but thanks for reminding me of the check. I will check it this morning.

I just checked the resistance and it is around 4500 ohms. 
I also checked another ringer and it tested the same reading.

The information I have found says the bias spring should be set at the low setting, but both of the ringers I tested have to be set at the high setting to ring??

I've been messing with the gong position, the plastic form under the gong, trying to make sure the gong is isolated and adjusting the bias spring.  The ringer started ringing intermittently last night but clapper requires a little push assistance to ring with each ring cycle.

I've been trying to find out if there are any repairs for the ringer, like cleaning coil contacts, etc but I haven't found anything yet.

Thanks,
Gary