"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rewiring a Coquette

Started by mblythe, July 14, 2017, 07:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: mblythe on July 14, 2017, 10:14:58 PM
I do have alligator leads, that's what I used for the jumper. I'll try jumping the transmitter contacts and see how it goes.
Excellent.  Inexpensive clip leads sometimes gradually fail, one strand of the wire breaking at a time until the clip falls off.  Even one strand though should not cause noise if it's a soldered connection to the clip.

mblythe

Ok, I fashioned a jumper out of scrap wire and checked the transmitter as well. The static was due to a loose wire to the transmitter. Fixing that made the sound quiet and clear. The key to everything else was the E -> L2 jumper. I can't explain why it made a difference in getting a dial tone, but it certainly did. All functions now checked and working fine.

Thanks again for the help. Another phone rescued from the scrap heap.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: mblythe on July 14, 2017, 11:19:13 PM
Ok, I fashioned a jumper out of scrap wire and checked the transmitter as well. The static was due to a loose wire to the transmitter. Fixing that made the sound quiet and clear. The key to everything else was the E -> L2 jumper. I can't explain why it made a difference in getting a dial tone, but it certainly did. All functions now checked and working fine.

Thanks again for the help. Another phone rescued from the scrap heap.
Excellent!  You're welcome.  I've learned to be satisfied that the thing works despite any discrepancies when there's cyberspace between it and me.  If it were here I'd be determined to figure out the discrepancies but under the circumstances, what counts is that it works!