News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE717CGs

Started by DavePEI, February 25, 2016, 08:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

I got the news the other day that a gentleman is sending me another N-717CG which has been a project of his for years, and he is now downsizing and wanted it to be saved. It will be sent on Monday, and though I have lots of them, I will restore it and it, along with others I have will be available to Museum visitors. I told him how to remove the switch hook arm and crank handle so that it will be safe during shipping. I would have hated to see him simply discard it. I like the N-717s - they were NE's last wooden local battery phone. From the NE T-8 Catalogue:
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

The N717CG arrived in the mail today, and since its case is severely warped and split due to water damage, I will likely use its parts to restore a couple of the other N717CGs I have. The most needed parts are there, the N143Y hook switch and crank handle, and it has a good 41BN magneto, F1G3 handset, N1G Key, and 104A coil so it will make it easy to repair the others which do have good cases... Very pleased with it. I do have probably nine of ten of them, so if anyone stops by next summer, they can take one home with them! This one was an early one, dated 1951 (early for N717s, that is)..

Alas, the ringer isn't as good - one coil of the B1N Ringer is open. I have checked it out, and may have another I can rob a coil out of to fix it, or if I am very lucky, the break may be at the end ot the coil. Nevertheless, the phone will sever as a donor to bring at least two of the others into tip-top shape!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001