News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

STILL misdialing!!!!!

Started by DARK FATHER, October 15, 2010, 03:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DARK FATHER

Well, my beloved WE202 will be heading to Arizona in a week or so to have Steve H fix the remaining bugs that my layman brain could not fix (due to being so new to this).  It was great fun working on it myself and communicating with all the great people on here who helped me get it working for the first time by sending me schematics and pictures.  But I do not know how to fix dials or make my voice sound louder to the person I am speaking to, so it must be done. 

DARK FATHER

I have noticed that the dial on this phone seems HARD to dial when compared to my other ones.  I have a feeling that the misdial problem is related.  When Steve H gets back all will be known.  Anyone else ever have this misdial problem?  If so, what was the issue?  Do these require lubrication?

bingster

They definitely require lubrication.  Over the years, the oil hardens and becomes gunky, causing the timing of the dial to be off, or hard to operate, or several other problems.  They usually need a thorough disassembly, cleaning, and re-oiling.
= DARRIN =

DARK FATHER

Well, this must be the problem.  It is so hard to dial that I usually have to hold down the base to keep the phone from moving.  I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is not wise to lube these unless you know what you are doing because it can cause bigger problems.  My "Lucy" phone is EASY to dial compared to this one.  The difference is night and day.

DARK FATHER

Well, my WE 202 in on the way back from Steve in Arizona!  He fixed the bad governor on the dial and rewired it so the transmitter is not bypassed.  The way I had it wired before had apparently done this which accounted for people having trouble hearing me.  He even installed a ringer into the "subset" that I built for it out of a Radio Shack project box.  I cannot wait to use it now, and my desk has been so EMPTY without it.

DARK FATHER

The WE 202 is back from the repair shop!  It sounds GREAT and dials Great!  Next time I buy an older phone like this I will know that there are technical issues beyond my understanding!