AE880 help!!!

Started by Volvoguy, September 08, 2014, 11:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

John ,
          No , mine works either way.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Volvoguy

I just swapped, and no difference. I should be getting a dial tone through the speaker with the handset hung up and the big switch on, right?

Volvoguy

Just found this white wire loose. Looks like it might have been where the blue wire is now? I pulled it up a bit in the picture. Seems to run up a big group of wires to the main hookswitch?

Volvoguy

Apparently my picture is upside down?

stub

John,
          Have you tried cleaning any of the dial contacts and big switch contacts and hookswitch contacts?  Maybe some more wires loose or in the wrong place. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

John,
        If you don't get it going I'll write down where my wires go on this working phone tomorrow. It's late here goodnight.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Volvoguy

Awesome, I'll probably wait until tomorrow to dig more into this, but I will PM you with any other questions. The writing is really hard to read on my boards, so I have to figure out where  3R is for the white hookswitch wire.
I will definitly update this thread with the answer when I find it though!

Thanks everyone!

Volvoguy

Late here too. It's actually the white wire that comes from the second from the left contact on the big PCB, if you are looking at it with the terminals at the top, screws facing you (if that makes sense)

AE_Collector

Shouldn't be any polarity issues. These did originally have a 10 conductor cord but you have covered everything that is needed. They are till like a regular phone with Tip, Ring and ground that should normally be connected to tip to make the ringer work on a private line. There are two other T & R conductors that are to insert power when used on a 24 VDC phone system. Thats it.

I am not sure what the problem is with this one. Probably a wire out of place somewhere.

Terry

stub

John,
         Hope this helps - Left to right - Top row - ER-ET-2R-2T-1R-1T
                                                   Middle row - CT-CR-RC-4R-4T-EB-3R-3T-2H-R-1H
                                                  Bottom row - XR-XT-RR-RT-RO-EH-4H-3H-M-K-1B
Left click to enlarge     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Volvoguy

Terry, do you think there is any chance that my shaw phone line isn't giving it enough voltage?

AE_Collector

I have no idea what voltage VOIP and cable (Shaw here in Vancouver) operate on. It is entirely possible that it is only 24 VDC rather than 48 VDC. Do you have a meter?

Terry

Volvoguy

I have a meter, but left it at work today (apprentice electrician). I didn't know Shaw was VOIP or cable, thought it was a good ol' POTS?

Volvoguy

I found my old crummy meter, is it at all possible that I am only getting 8V across red and green? I don't fully trust this meter, but it seems like that is what is there. This is with the 880 still hooked up to it.

Phonesrfun

measure with the phone hung up under no load.  VoIP will usually be 24 volts.  POTS will be 48 volts.  Under a load, 6 to 8 volts is normal for either system.
-Bill G