News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Connecticut Tel & Electric Inc phone

Started by tubaman, October 03, 2018, 01:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

This is on eBay right now - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VINTAGE-1900S-RESTORED-USA-HOME-TELEPHONE-BT-CONVERTED-FULLY-WORKING/163254399819
Description:
"This is a very unique genuine and fully restored home USA telephone from the early 20th Century. It is a classic cradle telephone with no dial so cannot make outgoing calls, only receive incoming calls. Back in the day you would have picked up the handset, tapped the cradle a few times to speak to the operator.
It has a wonderful old bell tone. It has been re-wired with a modern BT plug (with original-style fabric cable) so can be simply plugged into any BT socket and get ready to receive calls. Made by The Connecticut Telephone Company.
A unique talking point (no pun intended). "

I asked the seller for the full wording on the top and he says it is 'The Connecticut Tel & Electric Inc. Meriden, Conn'.
This seems expensive to me at £120, especially as it is obviously rather heavily restored.
Is it a rare a valuable thing?
:)

paul-f

Quote from: tubaman on October 03, 2018, 01:52:04 PM
This seems expensive to me at £120, especially as it is obviously rather heavily restored.
Is it a rare a valuable thing?

Rare and valuable are rather subjective terms.

Here in New England, Connecticut intercoms were fairly common and not especially sought after by collectors.

In this case, the seller is likely expecting a premium based largely on the restoration you mentioned. It is certainly one of the more striking examples of this model I've seen. (Personally, it wouldn't tip me into the category of wanting to spend this much for it, however.) We have certainly seen examples of other common phones selling for high prices when restored to look better-than-new. Perhaps they go to non-phone-collectors for a period decoration.

You can read a bit about them by searching for "Connecticut" in the TCI Library. They were not designed to connect to the public network. It would be interesting to see what's inside the set for sale.

For example:   http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams-technical-library/connecticut-telephone-and-electric/3681-conn-38-w-43-w?highlight=WyJjb25uZWN0aWN1dCJd
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

HMMM, Interesting. It defineltly would not receive calls as Paul already pointed out, I wonder what he put in it to make it work? Also definetly over-restored and too expensive!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

I have one of these. It is a factory conversion of the green wall intercoms. Mine hs a similar handset that is painted  black. I doubt if they would sell for $30.00 at a phone show.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Quote from: paul-f on October 03, 2018, 02:34:38 PM
....It would be interesting to see what's inside the set for sale...

I agree.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

I just tried to send a message asking the seller to open it up & get some pictures but I was unable to send a question. Maybe because it is a UK listing? I got this:

We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is unable to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing.

I have never seen that message before?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry....looks like you were blocked. I have got this in the past from a seller who had blocked me....if you can imagine that!  :o ....Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

Thanks for the input everyone.
I did suspect it wasn't that special, and I agree that it's been over restored. I much prefer my phones to look original, which this certainly does not.
It took the seller three days just to answer my question about the makers name, so asking him to open it up will probably be a step too far!

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on October 04, 2018, 03:42:21 AM
Thanks for the input everyone.
I did suspect it wasn't that special, and I agree that it's been over restored. I much prefer my phones to look original, which this certainly does not.
It took the seller three days just to answer my question about the makers name, so asking him to open it up will probably be a step too far!

Has anyone else asked for photos of the inside?

Personally, I'd stay well clear too, without photos for all we know it might have 746 internals.  :o
Plus, like you, I like my phones to show some age.

Thanks for the thread tubaman.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

I've just been looking at the link posted by @paul-f (thanks!).  These are just a basic battery home intercom set, so I suspect this one has been wrecked by converting it to a usable phone.  It's a shame. :'(
@FABphones - yes, I've seen too many 'converted' phones that have had a 746 PCB stuffed inside - usually with some horrible bodge to get the hook-switch to work.