News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Date Matching 2-4-57 Rose Beige 500 set

Started by Russ Kirk, November 17, 2017, 04:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Kirk

I am so excited about my new find. I have read many stories here about the treasures people find at incredible prices.  I often thought that it would never happen for me.  Well, it finally did! 

The other day I stopped into a local antique store to kill some time and see if I could find something for my wife. I saw a booth with about 6 rotary phones on the shelf.  My jaw dropped when I saw this.  I instantly grabbed and looked it over for damage, no damage, it was just dirty.  I saw the date, 2-57.  I opened the phone right there and all the dates matched, 2-4-57  in all the right places.  The only issue is the mounting cord was cut.   They were asking $69. I would have paid more. I never thought I would get a soft Rose Beige 500-55 set in such great shape. (Oh, BTW, I passed on the soft Moss Green 564 from 3-59 with the cut mounting cord.  I may go back for it next week)

I continued my shopping and stopped by the booth again and the seller was there dusting.  She told me all the phones were 30% off.  I got the phone for $48.30!

The only thing I have done since was to give it a quick polish with Novus #2. No scrapes or marks.  The inside of the transmitter and receiver are as clean as new. The inside of the set is also spotless and the leather feet show only a small amount of were, possibly from living its last sixty years on a shelf.

Then I noticed the number card, 311-555-2368. After a little research here I discovered it was a "phone number to nowhere." Now I suspect this phone was in a business office for the first part of its life.

So, I am self-nominating my $48.30 find of a date matching 2-4-57 Rose Beige 500 set for the November 2017 Find of the Month.

Now I just have to find a matching mounting cord.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Russ Kirk

more photos.......
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow! GREAT find!! You never see a Holy Grail color 500 in an antique store these days!

The last time I found a rare phone in an antique store was probably 3 years ago.

You left a colored soft plastic multiline there? I'm definitely interested in hearing about (but mostly interested in) that one!! :o :o If you don't want it, I'll take it!

That dial card looks fake to me. Even if it's real, it's the style used starting in the early '60s on, so it doesn't match the phone. I bet that the phones were owned by a collector at one point. Check the others...an early Green 564 and a Rose Beige in the same booth mean that this guy was a serious collector. I bet there's a rare feature in all of them.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dennis Markham

Nice find and a beautiful phone, Russ.  Congratulations!

cihensley@aol.com

Pourme

Exceptional find, Russ! Feels good don't it? I literally screamed when I got my 10 key 1500 to the truck, in a antique store like that.

I probably would have went for more of the phones for a deeper discount....

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

All Right Russ!!! What a find...congrats....Doug
Kidphone