News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Beige or Ivory Metal 302

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 27, 2010, 08:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Larry....Dennis is correct, even if I have the #5 clear fingerwheel, I do not have the flange to mount it. A WE 6D also has white painted edges and is a more than acceptable replacement for a 5J. 6Ds are found in color 302s as well as the 5Js....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 27, 2010, 10:21:09 PM
I just noticed that I had omitted the picture of the inside of the shell, so I added it to the original post.  I paid $60 plus $14.50 shipping for the phone.

I do have a chipped black metal finger wheel which I could use, but the black finish seems to extremely difficult to remove.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the finish?

Larry

Yeah, I learned the hard way, remember that 5302 original paint I dissolved in CLR?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Oh, I should have tried that.  I did it the hard way with a few types of sandpaper and some rotary tools.  It made quite a mess.  I think I have another one somewhere which is chipped so much that it needs to be stripped.  I will have to remember to try CLR, or maybe that only works on things that you don't want to remove ;D

BTW, a friend called while I was sitting here, and I answered the call with this phone, so it has now had its official initiation :)  To be honest, I don't think the ivory phone sounds any different than the black ;D

Larry

Doug Rose

Hey Larry....I don't have any open face finger wheels. It really looks much better with the burnished aluminum. The cord came out superb, that's what I wanted from it, its worth the $60 you spent right there. I think it looks great, I'll keep an eye out for a WE 6D. If you have a working WE 6A, paint the outside white. I have all the mounting hardward for it. An open face for a #6 turns up much more frequent than one for a #5. Real nice phone, I'm l glad it found a good home. You have my vote for find of the month, even though you stole it from my backyard!!......Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Thank you for all of the information and help.  I have another question about this phone.  Would touching up the chips with matching paint hurt the value?  There are many chips on the shell and handset, especially where the handset caps rubbed against the sides of the shell.  I am thinking about trying to find closely matching paint and touching up the shipped areas to make the phone look better, but I would hate to ruin its value.

Larry