News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What dial is this? 302

Started by bushman, April 24, 2014, 11:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushman

First of all I am not responsible for the wiring in this. I am trying to get this one up and running for a friend. I have been looking at the wiring diagrams but I can't read the identifiers on the dial and the pics of the other 302 dials look different than this one. Can someone tell me what dial this is and maybe how to check the dial wiring.

Thanks
Bushman

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Mr. Bones

Might just be me, but I'm having a really hard time seeing it, Bushman. ;) Please post some pics...I'll bet somebody can help out. :D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

bushman

I completely forgot to attach them.  I will attach the photos tonight after work.  I guess I was getting frazzled!!

Bushman

bushman

Let's try this again!!

Bushman

Phonesrfun

It's a #6 dial.  Probably has a 6 on the side of the finger stop.

Those always seem to have the terminal designations stamped in the metal too near the screws and too lightly stamped to read. 
-Bill G

paul-f

The dust cover is missing from the back, and those Phillips screws are not a good sign.  I hope they're not improper thread sizes that have been forced into the casting.  The washers suggest the gasket and grommets are missing.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

bushman

Thank-you!  I rewired to a description I found on here for 6 dial in a 302. I have verified that I have tone entering the phone by hooking my test set up to L1 and L2.

But if I pick up the receiver (without test set hooked up) there is no tone or clicks or anything.  I could use a little help on the wiring of the phone. I found multiple different wiring diagrams but not sure which one to use. I would like to verify the wiring is correct first.

Also I know the dust cover is gone and the screw issue but he would like it to just work if possible for a conversation piece in his house. I asked him if he wanted to completely refurb it he said he liked it the way it was.

Bushman

Phonesrfun

Is your picture after the re-wire job?

I can send you a picture of one of mine.  The thing is, there were several different versions of a #6 dial switch pile-up, all somewhat different.  It would be nice to know what dash number is on the back of the dial, but that would probably require taking it out of the phone.  I will look for one of mine in any event.
-Bill G

bushman

Ok I have the dial out. It is a North electric. It has a number 3 below that and below the "electric" it looks like a 195. Where do I find this dash number you speak of?

Bushman

poplar1

The Northern Electric dial  should have a part number such as 6A and a date. If its terminals are labeled Y R BK BB W, then it's probably a 6A.

I don't see the black handset wire (from BK inside the handset). It should connect to the same BK terminal on the dial as the black wire from the condenser. (Condenser is under the bracket in the base of the phone.)

This hookswitch originally had 6 wires so it was probably from a different phone (304). It's difficult to follow the wires taped up from the hookswitch, and some have apparently been changed to skinny wires. That's OK if there are still 4 wires--normally these would be yellow and brown-yellow for one set of contacts, and green and brown-blue for another set.

One set of contacts:
(Yellow) hookswitch to L2-Y on induction coil in base of phone
(Brown-yellow) hookswitch to Y on dial

Other set:
(Green) hookswitch to GN on induction coil
(Brown-blue) to BB on dial

Black handset wire (or whatever color is on BK inside the handset) to BK on dial
Black condenser wire to BK on dial

A wire connecting L1 on induction coil to R on dial

White handset wire (or whatever color is on W inside the handset) to W on dial

Red handset wire  (or whatever color is on R inside the handset) to R on induction coil

Red condenser wire to C on induction coil

Outside line to L1 and L2-Y.

Ringer circuit:
Red ringer wire to L1
Black ringer wire to K
Slate (gray) condenser wire to K
Yellow condenser wire to L2-Y

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

bushman

Here are some additional pics of the dial. It looks to me as if it was taken apart and bead blasted at one time. If the date stamp is what you were talking about with the 6A or 6C ... I don't find any remnants of it anywhere.  The hook switch does have 6 wires.  The dial actually has markings next to 6 screws.  From left to right (screws closest to bottom contact points at top)

G   BL   R   BK   BB?   W

This was refurbished by someone at one time as it has aftermarket cloth covered wall cord with rj-11 nicely crimped on. And the cloth covered handset wires are late model small wires. It is a metal housing that has been spayed beige.

I will compare the rest of the wiring tonight.

Bushman

poplar1

I believe that this is a 6L dial, which has two sets of contacts that make (close) only when the dial is operated: R and BK is one set, and BB and W is the other. These are in addition to the G and BL contacts that open and close corresponding to the digit dialed (open and close 7 times for a 7 dialed, for example).

In that case, you will have to modify the usual 302 circuit (above and in diagrams) as follows:

On the dial:
Connect brown-yellow hookswitch wire to G (instead of Y)
Connect black handset wire and black condenser wire to BL (instead of BK)
Connect both the brown-blue hookswitch wire AND the white handset wire together on BB
Connect the red jumper wire from R W on the dial to R on the induction coil (not L1 on the induction coil).

The red handset wire can now be connected to either R on the induction coil or R W on the dial, since these are connected together. It's just that if the wires are short, it will be easier to have all 3 handset wires connected to the dial.

EDIT: Changed R to W for dial terminal used
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

bushman

ok this is what I have so far.

hookswitch     Yellow wire to Y/L2 on induction coil
                       green wire to G on induction coil
                       brown/yellow to G on dial
                       brown/blue to BB on dial
                       red/green to GN on junction block
                       white to GN on junction block

condenser      red to C on induction coil
                      black to BL on dial
                      Yellow to L2 on induction coil     *****These two wires are almost same in color
                      last wire to K on junction block  *****very hard to tell difference I think I have it right but not sure

hand set        B in handset to BL on dial
                      R in handset to R on induction coil
                      W in handset to  BB on dial

Dial               G  to brown/yellow on hookswitch
                     BL to black on condenser and b in handset
                     R to R on induction coil
                     BK to nothing
                     BB to Brown/Blue hookswitch and  W handset
                     W to nothing

Induction coil       C to red condenser wire
                            L1 to red line in and red ringer
                            L2 to green line in, yellow condenser, yellow hookswitch
                            R to R on dial and R in handset
                            GN to green on hookswitch

Ringer                 Black to K on junction block
                           red to L1 on induction coil

Junction block     E to nothing
                           K to Black ringer and ?grey? condenser
                           GN to white on hookswitch and red/green hookswitch

Does this sound right?
Bushman

Phonesrfun

Those connections look good to me, and as for the condenser wire Yellow/Slate, they often fade and become indistinguishable.  Fortunately, it happens not to matter in this case if they are reversed or not, since the condenser is not polarity sensitive.
-Bill G