News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE wall phone on eBay. D 23 A?

Started by HarrySmith, March 18, 2017, 09:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Just stumbled across this on eBay. Appears to be a 35 wall phone with a pretty cool custom display stand. What stumped me is the plate on the front, D 23A??
Item # 322456421527
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/322456421527

Also, RARER??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

It is a Type 50 wall phone, not 35, but it is mounted on some kind of stand.
I think I have seen this particular phone on eBay before.
The brass plate with codes doesn't look factory made, probably a custom made addition for some special purpose.  The codes are not AE codes on it.

AE_Collector

How about the Navy AE phones. They are Type A, Type B, C, D, E, Not sure if a Type D is a wall phone or not.

Terry

<edit> Okay, I knew we had a big topic on the AE Navy Phones:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1979.0

So a Type D is the big fancy AE Switchboard phone, have heard them referred to as Admirals phone(?). Could this AE 50 be labelled as an Extension on a Type D system maybe?

Terry

KaiserFrazer67

I've seen this on eBay myself recently--it's been floating around on there for a few weeks.  I've hemmed and hawed over it myself, and I'm a bit surprised no one has snapped it up yet--the price isn't too horrible, IMO--I think mostly because no one, including the seller, knew what to make of the stand and the plaque on it. I know I certainly didn't.

(EDIT:  I made this post when it was still up at the original price of around $100.00.  Evidently this joker changes prices like he changes socks... :P )
-Tom from Oakfield, Wisconsin --  My CO CLLI & switch: OKFDWIXADS0--GTD-5 EAX

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes." -Henry J. Kaiser

unbeldi

If it were a Navy phone I think it would have a handset lock.
I wouldn't pick out just the D from the last line to associate it with one of the Navy types.  D was a panel wall unit, not ?

Pourme

My AE50 has a small plaque on it as well...must have been a "thing"...

I do like the stand made for it. It looks like it probably could be bakelite, though I don't believe it is. It is shinny on the back and blends in so well with the phone.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

AE_Collector

Quote from: unbeldi on March 19, 2017, 08:23:05 AM
If it were a Navy phone I think it would have a handset lock.
I wouldn't pick out just the D from the last line to associate it with one of the Navy types.  D was a panel wall unit, not ?

Picture of a "Type D"

Terry

Pourme

Wow...That is a futuristic looking phone!
Benny

AE_Collector

A couple more pictures of the AE50:

The Gold Decal...nothing unusual here Unbeldi?

Two pictures of the display stand. Could be Bakelite as in made by AE?

Terry

unbeldi

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 19, 2017, 11:07:57 AM
A couple more pictures of the AE50:

The Gold Decal...nothing unusual here Unbeldi?
No, not really.   The B11 decal was used after ca. 1943, don't know for how long exactly, but probably until ca. 1952.  B17 is the next label up (in my records) for wall phones and it already included the 1952 Silent Pawl patent for #51.   If I had to go by the dial, I'd say it was made in 1955, but that could have been easily replaced for the "special application".

Two pictures of the display stand. Could be Bakelite as in made by AE?

Terry

There is no indication of AE manufacture, unless we can get some detailed views, perhaps there are some mold marks by the manufacturer.  Many independent Bakelite molders impressed their logo somewhere.

The phone must be examined to make any more statements, unless someone finds a reference to the codes on the front.  The plate appears to be made at the location of use, to designate something.  I don't think it was made by a "manufacturer".  Perhaps it is prepared this way in a railroad shop, and the codes designate a siding location on a track somewhere  (more speculation).

Pourme

Quote from: unbeldi on March 19, 2017, 11:46:52 AM
No, not really.   The B11 decal was used after ca. 1943, don't know for how long exactly, but probably until ca. 1952.  B17 is the next label up (in my records) for wall phones and it already included the 1952 Silent Pawl patent for #51.   If I had to go by the dial, I'd say it was made in 1955, but that could have been easily replaced for the "special application".

There is no indication of AE manufacture, unless we can get some detailed views, perhaps there are some mold marks by the manufacturer.  Many independent Bakelite molders impressed their logo somewhere.

The phone must be examined to make any more statements, unless someone finds a reference to the codes on the front.  The plate appears to be made at the location of use, to designate something.  I don't think it was made by a "manufacturer".  Perhaps it is prepared this way in a railroad shop, and the codes designate a siding location on a track somewhere  (more speculation).

I asked, the seller said it was made of wood. Sure don't look like it.

Edit:
Upon closer inspection, it does indeed look like wood. wood grain impressions on the top in the back. Two cracks on the bottom where the screws are.
Benny

Pourme

I have a question:

I have done a good bit of research in the last 30 minutes to find the answer to this at no avail.

Why would the seller be lead to believe this is a "D 23 A" I can't find any reference to such a model, so far.

I have asked the seller why he thinks that and he hasn't responded.

Benny
Benny

unbeldi

Quote from: Pourme on March 19, 2017, 01:38:04 PM
I have a question:

I have done a good bit of research in the last 30 minutes to find the answer to this at no avail.

Why would the seller be lead to believe this is a "D 23 A" I can't find any reference to such a model, so far.

I have asked the seller why he thinks that and he hasn't responded.

Benny

Because it says that on the label.    Most people selling phones on eBay don't know what kind they have and any type designation or number is used to give the phone a name or number.   This is how 302s are sold as F1 telephones.  Who can blame them. 

AE_Collector

The phones worth $50. It would be neat to see the stand up close but it isn't worth $200. It needs a "make an offer" button.

Terry

KaiserFrazer67

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 19, 2017, 03:47:46 PM
The phones worth $50. It would be neat to see the stand up close but it isn't worth $200. It needs a "make an offer" button.

Terry
I just noticed it's been pulled due to "an error in the listing."  It'll be interesting to see if it goes back up under a different price and/or description.  When I saw it, it was closer to $100.
-Tom from Oakfield, Wisconsin --  My CO CLLI & switch: OKFDWIXADS0--GTD-5 EAX

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes." -Henry J. Kaiser