and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

RARE - AUTOMATIC WESTERN ELECTRIC CANDLESTICK TELEPHONE eBay 150520849420

Started by Doug Rose, November 22, 2010, 01:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Too bad you can no longer contact bidders. This is definitely a knock off Korean re-pro.
I know, I have one....
I paid $95.00 for it right after I started to collect phones. I've since upgraded it a bit, and now The only parts Korean are the base,  and stem. It cost me about an extra $100.00 for all the genuine parts. Still much cheaper than an original, and much cheaper that the current ebay offering.

November 1910 is the biggest Red Flag.
Here is the link, I've posted this several times.

http://www.oldphoneman.com/Fakes.htm

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

There was a discussion on htis phone just the oter day on the ATCA list. It was decided definetly not original. I have copied part of the discussion here:

My understanding after talking with Gerry Billard of Billard's Old Telephones back in the day is that he made up the date of Nov 10 when he had the reproduction transmitter cups made in Tiawan.  I don't remember what he told me that his reason was because he used the correct patent dates on the base of the phones.

The perch on this ebay phone looks like the latter perches that Gerry had made.  The base plate looks like the earlier one with the smaller escutcheon.  The later ones had a wide escutcheon.  This one almost looks real until you see the crooked patent dates on the front.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Russ Kirk

I was in an antique store a while back and ran across one of these phones.  When I inquired about old phones, one of sellers directed me to her booth.  One glance I knew what it was.  I told her about the phone and that it was not really an antique, but rather a 70's set from Asia.  She was in total denial and acted really disgusted that I insulted her wares.  I just wished her a nice day and continued shopping.

Most lay-sellers are not aware and are often fooled.  Many may have paid big bucks themselves and don't want to admit they have been taken.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

LarryInMichigan

AE_Collector

Gee, and  could have saved on the shipping too. It's about 10 miles from me. Darn...

It does look nice as long as you know what you are getting for your hard earned $$$$

Terry

Doug Rose

Kidphone